Laptop serial ports

smiller

Hello, I am having a problem connecting to my Modicon 984 series PLC's via Modbus with Taylor software. I have a Dell Latitude computer and XP. I have heard that Dell uses a virtual serial port which I don't fully understand but I think that it has to do with the IRQ address assignment to the port when it is needed. Whan I try to connect, the Modbus light flashes on the PLC and then comms time out. I can use the Modbus port ok with Concept software and Quantum/Momentum PLC's but the 984's are hosed. I have adjusted all of the comm port settings on the PC with no change. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The old Taylor software is DOS based, it will not run properly under XP. You can upgrade to the newer ProWORX 32, use an ethernet to Modbus bridge, or set up your computer to boot into DOS rather than XP.

Proworx

Yes, my sentiments exactly. I have ran into the same problem trying to use the older software with newer laptops on the 984s. But wait until after Aug or Sept to get your Proworx, it is so buggy it is not reliable yet. I cannot currently use my Proworx for the plant floor due to connectivity hassles and crashes.