Help with TP177B

saleshark

Hi All

I have a TP177B connected via MPI to a 313C-2dp CPU.

Now I have set up both in a step 7 project. I can't seem to transfer the data to the panel. This is a new paneland has no project on it.

Do I have to connect my pc direct to the panel to download the project?

If so how do I do this?

I have read the manual and it says about connecting the PC to the panel. Can I use the MPI port to do this?

Help Please

Last edited:
For the MPI connection between TP and PLC, use standard profibus connectors.
If you want to download to the TP, just piggyback the connector on the PLC, set PG/PC interface to MPI, see that MPI settings match, do the diagnostics and makes sure you can see both TP and PLC, and just download.

EDIT: And for first time use, you need to set up the MPI on the TP.

Last edited:
If you want to download to the TP, just piggyback the connector on the PLC, set PG/PC interface to MPI, see that MPI settings match, do the diagnostics and makes sure you can see both TP and PLC, and just download.

Is this preffered to the MPI cable that came with the panel?

I have tried connecting my PC/MPI cable direct from my PC to the panel and can't get it to communicate?

HI I have had a thought, I am using profibus also on this system. I have the TPO connected via the MPI cable to X1 on my CPU. I then have profibus on X2 which has a piggyback connector on it. I have been trying to communicate via my PG/PC on the X2 connector. Could this be the problem?

Hi Saleshark,
I think your second post is correct you cant get to your panel on MPI by going through the profibus you do need to be on the same network as the panel, but dont forget that you need to set the panel into transfer mode first via the panel keyboard and set the baudrate and port you wish to download through too.

Question 1:

It won't make a difference performance wise, but I find it easier if you have a place to connect the PG without disconnecting the existing cables.

If you can't connect directly to the TP then the settings on either the PG/PC or the TP aren't correct.

This leads to question 2:

If you are connecting to X2, then your PG/PC is configured for Profibus. On that (PC)port you won't be able to connect to the TP.

The TP has a PG/PC setting of it's own and only accept connections from the protocol configured in it's PG/PC settings.

So PC to MPI, TP to MPI, and as Rob said, both need to be on the same physical network. (don't think routing is possible yet)

Thanks Guys,

I haven't had chance to try it yet, but I think it maybe what you have said as I have my PC adaptor set to profibus.

I will try setting it to MPI and connect direct to the TP.

Tp 77b

Hi,
Did you set the transfer mode in the panel to your port and baudrate if you haven't you will not get comms as i think the default settin is serial.

Connect the panel to the MPI port with a piggyback connector on the MPI port.

Connect the PC to the piggyback connector on the MPI port.

On the PC, use the Set PG/PC interface and set it to MPI, 187.5kbps, address 0.

On the HMI panel, you will have to configure its communications. Not sure on the 177's but on op/tp 270s there is a setting in the control panel, S7 Transfer Settings. Here you select MPI, 187.5kbps, and an adderss of 1 (or anything other than 0 or 2).

On the HMI panel there should be some DIP switches on the back that you have to configure for MPI/DP communications. Make sure they are in the right position.

I've not worked much with wincc flex yet, I've used the old ProTool. In ProTool there was also a communications setting that seemed to default to serial alot. If the HMI DIP switches are correct, the HMI panel configured with the right baud rate and address, the PC configured with the correct address, it might be a setting in the HMI project.