Wanted: Idiot's guide to Panelview comms

DairyBoy

I've had help/suggestions from some of you already, but now I'm wondrin' if it's a duff PV. Equipment is as follows: PV550 (2711-B5A3, ser F, rev L, frn 4.2). I know it's old, but this is the first time it's seen power. With the CP3 cable and RA-approved usb-232 converter, I can talk to a 503 processor ok using the DF-1 driver, auto-configured to: SLC-CH0/micro/Panelview, baud 19200, station 00, no parity, crc, 1 stop bit, full duplex. When I plug the cp3 into the PV550 (set to node 2, 19200), rslnx browser still shows the slc (crossed out) but no sign of the PV. The fault indicator on the screen is flashing, but I figured that was because there's no app. in it. The comm indicator flashes, but is ok when connected to the 503. I keep coming back to it, hoping a fresh approach will do the trick, but no go. o_O Any takers? Thanks.

The cp3 cable won't work on the Panelview. I use a 2711-NC13.

One is a crossover cable, the other isn't. I can never remember which is which.

Your PV has DH485 protocol. The RS232 port is for a printer only.
To program the PV you will need a 1747-PIC (need real serial port for this device. Or a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter). Or you can set up a passthru with your SLC5/03 processor ( DF1 to DH485 passthru, the serial port to its DH485 port) Or use a memory card to program the PV.

Mickey- I'll dig out my ole' pic and see what happens. Thanks for saving me a lot of wasted time.

Cheers for the bumper pack of pdfs. I've got a W98 pc with the pic running ok already. (no idea there had been so many issues with the pic driver!) Well, I said that I'd be digging out the pic... Done that; didn't work, so I repaired (re-crimped the IDCs) both ends of the ribbon cable; always the first place to go. Still no joy, so that's it for now. I'll borrow a pic to check it out separately, maybe at the weekend. I wouldn't be using this old stuff if it was for a "real" job, it's for my lad who wants to learn- brilliant! We'll get there (y)

Hey Mickey, Just browsing over on MrPLC and noticed a reply that you posted for "Geek" recently re his 2711-T5A16L1 Ser B Frn 4.46. He seems to be down/uploading via the 232port. Is my 2711-B5A3, ser F, rev L, frn 4.2 just too old for this comms method? Cheers.

Last edited:
Hey Mickey, Just browsing over on MrPLC and noticed a reply that you posted for "Geek" recently re his 2711-T5A16L1 Ser B Frn 4.46. He seems to be down/uploading via the 232port. Is my 2711-B5A3, ser F, rev L, frn 4.2 just too old for this comms method? Cheers.

The post GIT referred to was a mistake by me, see below with regards to DH485 PV's. Sorry for the confusion, my bad.

The 2711-T5A16L1 is DF1 protocol (RS232 Port) with a Printer/AUX port that can be use for upload/download or as a printer port.

The 2711-B5A3 has DH485 protocol with a DH485 port.With a RS232 printer port ( only). On all Panelviews with DH485 protocol the printer port can only be used for a printer, cannot change it.

See link below for AB KB on this:
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp....zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1QYW5lbFZpZXcgcHJpbnRlciBwb3J0

Last edited:
Thanks, Mickey, I just thought I saw a little light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile... I've borrowed a known good pic and connected it to the pv via the ab approved usb/serial converter. The pv is connected to the 503 (to power the pic, I'm told by ab). Now when I add the pic driver in rslx, I get "Fatal error initializing pic device driver!" If I ok that, I can carry on to the point where I get "failed to swap pic driver...blah blah". "try restarting rslx". It's stopped, and the stop/start buttons are greyed-out. Ok, let's restart it then... fatal win32 errors and stuff. WTF??? Is it me?

:confused: 🔨 (n) o_O :( :mad: :confused: :unsure:

Thanks, Mickey, I just thought I saw a little light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile... I've borrowed a known good pic and connected it to the pv via the ab approved usb/serial converter. The pv is connected to the 503 (to power the pic, I'm told by ab). Now when I add the pic driver in rslx, I get "Fatal error initializing pic device driver!" If I ok that, I can carry on to the point where I get "failed to swap pic driver...blah blah". "try restarting rslx". It's stopped, and the stop/start buttons are greyed-out. Ok, let's restart it then... fatal win32 errors and stuff. WTF??? Is it me?

:confused: 🔨 (n) o_O :( :mad: :confused: :unsure:

Reread the PDF's I posted in post #6. You need a real serial port to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. Your best bet would be
a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter)

From the pdf:

Cause: You can not use the PIC with a USB to serial converter.

OK Mickey, I'll stop now.