Square D SY/MAS

fredjohns

Like to thank everyone for all their help in the past and see if someone may be able to help me with this next question. We have been getting alot of equipment from out other plants that are closing and now we are getting some machines with Square D, SY/MAX Plcs, Mod. 500

Does anyone know what software and what communication cable I would need to be able to copy the PLC programs out of the PLC's. Right now if something would happen to the PLC, the machine would be down. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Fred Johns
Day Timers, Inc.

Dos

Used to work with these PLC's, now I have loads of them not being used since they were replaced. :oops:

However, you will need to enter DOS world (as far as I know) by using the software SFW375.
I guess there are ready made comm cables, but you can use a RS232 to RS422/485 converter to communicate with the PLC.

I also used an engineering PC with some large communication cards hooked directly to the SY/NET.

Look into the nice document you will find here:
http://bwethers.upchurchelectrical....max/SyMax Software on XP public version-2.pdf

Thanks

Thanks for the info..we have a few other PLC's in the plant that still use DOS programming software. I will take a look at the link you sent me. Do you happen to know if the DOS software for this plc is still available somewhere to purchase or download.
Fred

Sfw374

Hi

I suggest Google!

This software is a old product, so it might not be awailable from Schneider.
However is think I can find this in a computer here if you PM me.

Schneider no longer directly supports the old Model 500 processors, however they were programmed with the exact same software and interfaces as the Model 400 and Model 600 processors. I think the Model 500 processor went obsolete 20 years ago.

I believe that you can purchase a Windows based programming package from Square D or a third party vendor. The last DOS based software was part number 8010 SFW473. The old DOS software often could not support Comms ports on computers faster than 25MHz and almost never ran in any Windows environment(I had a boot into DOS partition on my drive).

Schneider no longer directly supports the old Model 500 processors, however they were programmed with the exact same software and interfaces as the Model 400 and Model 600 processors. I think the Model 500 processor went obsolete 20 years ago.

I believe that you can purchase a Windows based programming package from Square D or a third party vendor. The last DOS based software was part number 8010 SFW473. The old DOS software often could not support Comms ports on computers faster than 25MHz and almost never ran in any Windows environment(I had a boot into DOS partition on my drive).

Actually, SFW472/473 works pretty well in a DOS window under 2000 or XP. SFW375, however, will overrun the comm buffer unless you use something to eat up excess processor speed. I use a program called Slowdown and set the speed variable in the program to 125, which is roughly equivalent to a 20 mhz 486.

In my view, neither SFW375 or SFW472/473 are great packages. I typically wind up switching between them depending on what I need to do, since each of them have little "quirks" that keep either of them from being a total solution.

-- Dan --

Thanks Dan, I had contacted Schneider to purchase the software but they no longer sell it. They offer a windows based program now but it sells for around $4000 they told me, so i am still searching for someone that might have the old DOS based program they are no longer useing and might want to sell it...

SFW374 was the stand alone DOS based software, that covered the entire Sy/Max family. Prior to SWF37x you needed an internal card in your PC. SFW375 was a multi-install version of SFW374.

When SFW473 was introduced I stopped using SFW374 and never went back, except to answer support questions from customers. I have run SFW374 on XP machines but never in the on-line mode.

I believe the SFW473 software was dropped as a product when Windows stopped including DOS in their OS (1998?). SFW472 is a stripped down version of SFW473 (I believe it does not support the really ancient processors like Model 100)

SFW374 was the stand alone DOS based software, that covered the entire Sy/Max family. Prior to SWF37x you needed an internal card in your PC.

Yep, the SFI-510, or the later version SFI-534. I've got piles of them around here.

SFW375 was a multi-install version of SFW374.

When SFW473 was introduced I stopped using SFW374 and never went back, except to answer support questions from customers. I have run SFW374 on XP machines but never in the on-line mode.

I believe the SFW473 software was dropped as a product when Windows stopped including DOS in their OS (1998?). SFW472 is a stripped down version of SFW473 (I believe it does not support the really ancient processors like Model 100)

As I said earlier, I have to switch back and forth between SFW374 and SFW473. The mechanism SFW473 uses to add rungs to existing programs is horrible (i.e. halt the processor, add the rung at the end of the program, then move it to where you actually want it), whereas SFW374 will let you insert directly into the program without halting the processor. I also don't like that you can't search for registers in SFW473. The major failing SFW374 has is the 256K memory limit that I've never figured out how to extend.

-- Dan --

The mechanism SFW473 uses to add rungs to existing programs is horrible (i.e. halt the processor, add the rung at the end of the program, then move it to where you actually want it)
Hmm, I never knew of this problem. I can not recall ever having to move a rung after it was inserted. As I said I never went back to SFW3xx.