Replacing Fanuc Robots RJ-2 and RJ-3

Rob S.

We installed 6 Fanuc robots back 1999-2000.I have some concerns about spare parts,service,etc. We have the following :
3- M-410i RJ-2
3- M-410i RJ-3
We have 2 production lines with 3 robots on each line.
I would like to replace 3 robots at a time by shutting
down 1 production line at a time. The bad enonomic times
does not give us much of a possibility to do this. So I have a few questions:

1.How difficult is it to duplicate the programs,user frames
teach points,etc. from a RJ-2 or RJ-3 to a newer Fanuc
robot?
2.Would it be wise to buy used robots,same reducers,components
etc. and use it for spare parts till the economy gets
better?
3.If any of you have any older RJ-2's or RJ-3's what do you
think of spare part availability and service?
4.What is the worst thing that can happen?

Thanks so much for your time.

Dial 1-800-IQ-ROBOT with your robot "F" number(s) in hand

You should not have any trouble maintaining those robots by calling Fanuc with their respective ID numbers. I would be stunned if Fanuc could not provide you with every single part for those machines. Of course, the leadtimes may vary, but they have had everything we have ever needed by dialing 1-800-IQ-ROBOT with the robot "F" number(s) in hand.

It is not easy to get electronic literature from Fanuc website, but their customer service is outstanding, and their field technicians are great too.

As for copying programs from those machines to newer ones, it greatly depends on what the robots' functions are, what software and options they have installed, and how much customization has been done.

I handle three palletizing robots running Fanuc Pallet Tool software. One has an RJ2, the others have newer controlllers, software, and options. They all run different versions of PalletTool, so almost none of the teach pendant programming is the same There may be a few files that are identical, but I would not attempt to copy software if I were to update one. It would be easier to recommission the new system to match the workcell requirements. That statement may not hold true in your case though.

So, to go further, we need to know what the old robots are doing, and you will have to get very intimate with what's running on each controller and how it is interfaced with other equipment etc.

Paul

You need to remember that controllers are separate from robot models for the most part. What you need to be aware of concerning your robot hardware is the lifespan of your M-410i robots for replacement parts.

What about Roboguide ,possibly copy and paste

We have HandlingTool 4.40 on a 4 - RJ-2 Controllers.
Teach Pendant programming has not changed ,correct?
Using Roboguide ,can we copy our 4.40 TP code and
paste it in Roboguide ,test it ,and download it into
a R-30iA Controller?

Also , We have 4 -M 410i robots that were installed in
1999. Would we need to replace the robots ? if we do,what
would be the reasons ? Could we just replace the motors
and /or the reducers ?

The reason I ask is I am starting to work with Fanuc
and some integrators on replacing some robots, and I
just want to be up to speed.

I appreciate your help,

You really need to contact Fanuc because just like cars their robots and controllers both have lifecycles. As they wind down old models their replacement parts may be more expensive or harder to find.

Search ebay and the web

I worked in a facility that had fanuc's dating to 1989. RH's, RJ's, RJ2's, RJ3, RJ3iB, and the R30iA. You have to know your part number, but I have found replacemet parts on the web through different vendors - all used mind you. When I went to connect my RJ2's to the network for backup purposes, I found the necessary boards on ebay for $80.00/ea. Fancu wanted $3500 for each board. Money was tight in my plant so our dollars had to stretch - hence robots with 135,000 hours on them.

One of the projects we did was commonize our memory between versions, rj2's all the same, rj3's all the same, rj3ib all the same. We had to reload software but one cpu was necessary per version.
http://www.robotco.com/

Another project we did was make all our RJ2's the same version. When we were done, all the rj2 were 4.40 and nearly the same options,two needed continious turn the others didn't.

Anyways, if you search around you can find used parts. The Robot Company has lots of used parts and used robots. I have purchased a lot of items through them. They also have a stellar repair man for RH robots. http://www.robotco.com/

I do enjoy working on Fanucs equipment, but they can be a pain to deal with and expensive with their parts.

Rob,
I work for a fanuc integrator and can answer alot of your questions that you probably have. SUch as RJ2 control used single channel e-stop, RJ3 uses dual and some things like this that are different too. Call 717-846-4000 and ask for keith