Siemens Step5>>>>>HELP

sonofsiemen

I am trying to download and backing-up all the plcs at work and we had a tech come in and help, but he ended up being no help at all. I can get started, and make connection with the plc and go online with it, but what I understand, is there are around 5 different file types that you have to download from the plc itself to be able to successfully download the program and be able to load it back into the plc in the future if something happens. I have worked with STEP 7 and other brand plcs but this is throwing me for a loop on how to get this done. I have downloaded every manual i can find on the inet and it don't really tell me anything to this nature. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!🔨🔨🔨🔨

I am trying to download and backing-up all the plcs at work and we had a tech come in and help, but he ended up being no help at all. I can get started, and make connection with the plc and go online with it, but what I understand, is there are around 5 different file types that you have to download from the plc itself to be able to successfully download the program and be able to load it back into the plc in the future if something happens. I have worked with STEP 7 and other brand plcs but this is throwing me for a loop on how to get this done. I have downloaded every manual i can find on the inet and it don't really tell me anything to this nature. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!🔨🔨🔨🔨

First step is to setup the online connection, this is working youre saying.

Download and backing-up:

The project file on your PC have the extension xxxx.S5D I have a vague memory of.
So open this file on your PC/PG. Then depending of version of your Step5 software, goto transfer menu, select your project file and from there you can select to download All blocks, only, PB, only DB etc.

Important here, as i remember it, is to select SOURCE and DESTINATION.
If you are to do a backup of the PLC select FROM PLC TO FILE/PC/PC.
If you want to download to PLC select from FILE/PG/PC TO PLC.

It´s quite straight forward I think.

The above description is when you are to transfer blocks to the RAM memory, to blow an eprom/flash is another story.

Hope this will give you a point in right direction.

As you have no symbols, when you upload the blocks and save the project you will only have two files, one contaning the project settings, the other containing the step5 code.
Use the Transfer option:

step5009.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I will run with that and see. I will post after I try it. Anymore info will be apppreciated if anyone else has anything. Thanks again!

Use A for selecting all blocks to transfer from the plc to the program file:

step5008.jpg

Last edited:
It has been a long time since I did anything with a S5.
It may be easier getting a windows based software like PG 95,
or check Software Toolbox. Within the .S5D program you should
have OB , Program Blocks,Function Blocks ,SB ,Data blocks.
Like I said ,it has been a while. I should take the time to study up on them ,because there is going to be a time that I
am going need to work on them. Sorry I was not much help.

Still at it

When I download the program, it looks like i need a Program (ST.S5D file), a Symbol (Z0.INI file), a Printer (DR.INI) file, a Footer (F1.INI file), and aa (PX.INI) file which i don't know what is. It throughs the files in different locations and I can't even find the *PX.INI file. What am i doing wrong LOL:confused::confused::confused: