control net - rsview comunications question

🔨 Saturday morning early we had our control net communications go down on our flex logix racks. We have 3 pc’s & 6 Racks & 1 powrflex 70 on it. I’m not that familiar with control net. Cut my teeth on sy-max sy-net & e-net. We have found the bad cable in the middle of the network that was the problem. Waiting on them to get new BNC connectors to finish replacing the cable. Have moved the terminating resistor to the middle plc to balance this part of the net work and have a question on the 1 pc that is on this section, RSview is getting data and then goes blank from data like it is hooked to nothing, could this be caused by not seeing the other 3 plc racks & on the network and tring to scan from them? Tech connect help did a good job helping me trouble shoot the net work problem but I forgot to ask them about this and we only have a Mon – Fri 8 to 5 contract and the boss was able to authorize the cost of the call for Saturday. 🙃 :confused:

i forgot to put this on the post, the 2 computers on the other end see the 3 plc racks with no issues of data coming & going on them. i do have 1 bad control net card on the side that is flashjing but it has been unhooked fromthe net work. sorry about the omitin from my fist post.

charles

FYI o_O replaed bad section of cable and all 3 computers flaked out including the 2 computers that were working stable flipped out. ended up take the ternimation resistor to the 2 computers and work it back to the other end of the netowork and reboot all 3 computers & 4 of the racks to get every thing back to normal. Is control-net always this picky after a problem?

:unsure:

FYI o_O replaed bad section of cable and all 3 computers flaked out including the 2 computers that were working stable flipped out. ended up take the ternimation resistor to the 2 computers and work it back to the other end of the netowork and reboot all 3 computers & 4 of the racks to get every thing back to normal. Is control-net always this picky after a problem?

:unsure:

I have limited experience, with controlnet, from my steel mill days, but from what I remember, it works very well, when it works, and when there is a bad connection, it can show up anywhere in the line.... Before or after the actual problem...

-MUR

RSLinx is the DEVIL!!!!!

The problem with RSView is that is uses RSLinx. Linx has severe problems handling lost nodes on a network, especially if you have older RSView and RSLinx, prior to ver. 2.50. Controlnet is great stuff, but the easiest thing to do is to go to RSLinx and disable or delete the connections to the other 3 plcs not in service. This means that RSLinx will not be looking for it when running. You do this by going into RSLinx and go to the DDE/OPC tab and delete the topic for the plc that is not available at the time. But remember to go back and put this topic back in once repairs are made, after you reinsert the topic, reboot the computer and RSView. Hope this helps.