AB toolkit questions

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am going to ask AB these questions also, but sometimes I have a hard time understanding(or vice versa) the people in the activation dept.

1. lets say I want to download a older revision of rslogix 5000. when I go to the software download under 5000 they have like 5 different versions of each revision. standard, service, mini, full, professional. If I already have 5000 v17 professional installed, which version of say, v15 would I need to download to add it on to v17?

2. my dept has like 3 guys that will share the toolkit. It sucks that AB wont allow you to move the activation onto the activation server more than 3 times without calling. what I would like to do is maybe put the activations on a thumb drive. Is there any way to tie in multiple host ids to license files residing on a thumb drive? looks like you may be able to do this with the activation transfer tool. I guess I am trying to set this up the best way for us to be able to do it quick and easy without having to call AB

1. You would download the professional version. As far as I can tell, if you download and install the professional version, but use a lesser license, then RSLogix will just revert to the lower capabilities that match the license with no problem. If you switch to a professional license later, then all the features re-appear.

2. I'm assuming AB is using the newer FactoryTalk activation for everything rather than the master disks now. During activation, you can tie the licenses to a USB dongle that AB sells. You would then copy all of these licenses to all the PCs. You can move the dongle from computer to computer and the licenses will automatically look for it.

If your toolkit uses the master disk activation still (like the last toolkit I had), you can follow the steps AB's knowledgebase Answer ID #2777 to install the licenses on a network server.

Hope that helps!

With regard to the RA Web Updates feature, the website checks your authorization code against the package of RSLogix 5000 that you're trying to download. Since you have a license for the Professional package, download the Professional package.

When you install the software on your PC, there's no difference between any of the packages; the features are all present in every install and are turned on by the various activations.

It sounds to me like you have a single license Toolkit that you are sharing between three users. Is that the case ?

The point of a node-locked activation is to be tied to a single hardware identifier.

The usual way to do what you want is to use a "Hardware Dongle", a USB device that simply provides a unique identifier that can be moved between computers.

You will create the License File (*.LIC) using the Hardware Dongle, then copy that same License File to multiple computers. Whichever computer has the dongle plugged into it will be able to use the software.

Starting with this year, all Toolkits will (the ones that shipped in Dec.) be on the FactoryTalk activation scheme (no floppy). As for the older versions of RSLogix5000, there should be a selection you make when you are installing (for instance V17) where you tell it you want to install previous versions (I think V17 has all the versions back thru at least V13, maybe even back to V10). That way you won't need to download anything off the web, just run the installation DVD and look for the part about installing older versions. If you have 3 people needing to utilize the Toolkit at the same time, why not go with a 3-install Toolkit? Rockwell does have a USB dongle that you can host your activations on (9509-USBDONG). I hope this helps.

With regard to the RA Web Updates feature, the website checks your authorization code against the package of RSLogix 5000 that you're trying to download. Since you have a license for the Professional package, download the Professional package.

When you install the software on your PC, there's no difference between any of the packages; the features are all present in every install and are turned on by the various activations.

It sounds to me like you have a single license Toolkit that you are sharing between three users. Is that the case ?

The point of a node-locked activation is to be tied to a single hardware identifier.

The usual way to do what you want is to use a "Hardware Dongle", a USB device that simply provides a unique identifier that can be moved between computers.

You will create the License File (*.LIC) using the Hardware Dongle, then copy that same License File to multiple computers. Whichever computer has the dongle plugged into it will be able to use the software.

you may be in the know on this... why in the world doesnt rockwell allow you to utilize the move feature more than 3 times in a year? I guess I just dont see why they would limit that. why not allow people to move the license as much as they want?

Starting with this year, all Toolkits will (the ones that shipped in Dec.) be on the FactoryTalk activation scheme (no floppy). As for the older versions of RSLogix5000, there should be a selection you make when you are installing (for instance V17) where you tell it you want to install previous versions (I think V17 has all the versions back thru at least V13, maybe even back to V10). That way you won't need to download anything off the web, just run the installation DVD and look for the part about installing older versions. If you have 3 people needing to utilize the Toolkit at the same time, why not go with a 3-install Toolkit? Rockwell does have a USB dongle that you can host your activations on (9509-USBDONG). I hope this helps.

my disc doesnt say anything about installing older versions. the one I got from my vendor to use for a project until my toolkkit came in did allow me to do ver13-16, but this one doesnt say anything about olderversion.

id love to go with a 3 license kit, but the cost is very high and we cant justify spending that much for the amount of work that we do using the toolkit right now.