Way OT! Festoon cabling system.

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
We ran into a problem with a festoon system that we are installing and I was just seeing if anyone had any advice.

We are using flat cabling running down a track through about 12 trolleys (hanging overhead of a transfer cart). The trolleys are not wide enough to accommodate 4 cables that we have to install (only 3). Does anyone know if it's legal to double up the cables (stack two in the clamps)? Right now there are 3 cable setting side by side and that is fit in the clamp.

Thanks!

we have our festoon cabling stacked up in the clamps on 2 different 10 ton bridge cranes. they are stacked like 5 high in a single stack. There is 120vac control, 480vac and a large 250vdc 4 conductor festoon wire for the magnet used to pick up steel scrap. and an encoder wire also runs along in there on the side of the stack. all in the same clamps / rollers. It was installed this way by the mfg.

Thanks for the reply derekw! My thought was that as long as the clamps held the cables securely, then not a problem. But then again, I'm not familiar with how these things typically are done.

We stack our cables but we have spacers between them so they do not rub against each other. We also avoid stacking control cables with power cables so we normally have two seperate stacks.
Andybr

Great, thanks for the info Andybr. That is the was I was looking at setting it up here. Motor cables would be in one stack and the control wires would be in another.

Totally legal... I work in a steel mill in Upstate, NY, and we just went through this same question. As long as your festoon cables are double insulated then they can be stacked in the trolleys. For purposes of reducing inductive noise, we also kept feed and control cables separate.

Walker