Ethernet for SCL 5/04

KF

K
Has anyone used the AB 1761-net-eni that plugs into the RS232 port on the PLC for Ethernet? I was wondering about a speed comparison between that and a DH+ network.

Any info would be great. Thanx

It obviously can't be faster than 38.4KB

It will be slower yet because the adapter must wait for the whole packet before relaying it. That said I would say this could be your best option if you don't want to upgrade to a SLC5/05. Rockwell AB has an advantage when it comes to serial, Ethernet and USB adapters because they can optimize the adapter for their protocols.

The spec sheet indicates that DH+ goes faster than 38400 KB. I have a SLC5/04 too but I have never used DH+ to find our fast it really is.

In the end I find that it takes processing power is the limit factor to processing the packets. Without the processing power it will not make any difference how fast the data comes across the physical layer.

Hi KF

It would have to be slower than DH+..

According to an old slc manual I have, DH+ can have 3 different Baud rates, but I believe that it is more stable at 56K

snag-001.jpg

I never had problems with DH+ on 230k. The only problem is that
some older hardware will not support it (such as PLC5 for example).
When it comes to connecting SLC on ethernet, I would simply replace
processor. We do a lot of work with SLCs so it's not big deal
to use 5/04 on some other project. Cost of 5/04 combined with
cost of whatever converter module you might have in mind will
come to aprox. prce of the 5/05 anyway...

panic mode

Last edited:
We use them all the time with our biggest customer with no problems. They can be a challenge to set up the first time but after that they are pretty simple. You will need a micrologix type cable PM02 or something like that to program it. DO NOT have rslinx running when you try connect to it for programming the module. They seem to be the same speed as programming through the DF1 port but they're nice that you don't have to carry a bunch of different cables with you.

Another note about the cable that goes between the NET-ENI and the SLC, you don't have to buy their super-expensive cable. If you get ahold of just one, ohm it out and you can make your own from their out.

Rob

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm gonna have to replace thhe 5/04s with 5/05s. I know that I'll have to change my MSG instructions, but is there anything else that I should be aware of before I jump into this? I have 5 SLC 5/04s talking on DH+ that I need to change over to Ethernet.

I am not saying you have to replace processors but this
is by far simplest and cleanest solution. It is probably
one on the cheaper side too (well that depends on pricing
you get for AB products...).

I've seen someone posting link to ethernet card for SLCs
in this forum maybe two months ago. It was not an AB product
but it was designed to act and look like one. Unfortunatelly
I didn't bookmark (never tought one would need it).

There are several ways to skin the cat. It's up to you
to choose proper strategy depending on what your goals are.
I would say take a good look at the system and try to find
out what else is interacting with this PLC. There might be
something you are not even aware of at the moment.
Swapping processors could mean some downtime if you are
interfering with some "hidden little process".

panic mode