Visual Basic

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
I use to mess with Visual Basic, and considered myself a decent amateur programmer....

Lately, I've been considering buying some books to start doing some database recording through VB. I would also be interested in trending, from the databases. I'm thinking, about using this with redlion displays, when a PLC is involved, and possibly some modbus ethernet I/O modules....

My question for those with experience, is if this will be more difficult than it seams (worth the effort) Also any links or reccomendations to get me started would be great.

Thanks,

-MUR

Hi
It is my understanding that you can already log to a database with redlion hmi's so the VB is redundant.

Cheers

As for nearly everything, it is only difficult until you learn it. When I first learned database interaction using VB .NET, I found it t be very difficult, but once everything fell into place, I can now whip through the code without even thinking about it.

Probably the more difficult thing will be implementing any protocols. There are plenty of OPC and ActiveX drivers available, but if you want full control and no limitations, you will probably have to spend the time developing from scratch.

As for nearly everything, it is only difficult until you learn it. When I first learned database interaction using VB .NET, I found it t be very difficult, but once everything fell into place, I can now whip through the code without even thinking about it.

Probably the more difficult thing will be implementing any protocols. There are plenty of OPC and ActiveX drivers available, but if you want full control and no limitations, you will probably have to spend the time developing from scratch.

I figured a book and learning the correct syntax wouldn't be extremely difficult for the databases.... I am wondering about the graphing (especially showing live update with no flicker) I also don't have any experience with using client side software, to access the database.

-MUR