Euro-style rectangular connectors (90+ pins)

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need a couple of European style rectangular connectors for an application that will require 80 pins each, mixed discrete and analog, plus I'd like to include a couple of extras.

I've looked at the Phoenix Heavycon connectors and Lapp connectors. I checked the ones at McMaster-Carr but they don't have enough pins. I would prefer screw connections but it appears that above abotr 40 pins (varies by manuf) you have no choice but to use crimp pins.

What brands have you all used, what did you think? Who was easy to get from for the US?

(I know I asked this once before, just looking to see if there are more opinions)

Last edited:
I've never seen that type of density in greater than 64 pins...might have been 48. I remember it was 16 across and either 3 or 4 rows. Still short of 90 but I can do a little digging and see if I can find the part number if that would help...

Probably a good reason, but why not just use 3 connectors on the end of the cable?

Typically for that amount of pins you might want to go to 2-3 connectors as the cable to feed into that will be pretty heavy to handle and maneuver from point A to point B.

Typically for that amount of pins you might want to go to 2-3 connectors as the cable to feed into that will be pretty heavy to handle and maneuver from point A to point B.
Not to mention troubleshooting the pins in the middle later on.

If I had to have the 90 pins on one connector, I think I would pay a good quality cable company to make the connector to match up a bulkhead connector with terminals on the other side for panel wiring. Many companies make these. Posekon's D series can do 128 pins this way. This would solve it on the panel side, but you've still got to crimp the cables.

Unfortunately I can't use a buss because motion control is involved and buss latency would be catastrophic. But at the same time I have to have a disconnectable connection because one annual maintenance operation will require removal of a couple of 7 ton hydraulic cylinders and the wiring will be in the way, so if we we can't unplug it then we would have to individually de-terminate each wire (~160 wires), and that is unacceptable. Its much easier to drop a couple of plugs.