Security Camera System .img files

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

We have a Digital Watchdog Security DVR.I would like to
write these files to a external storage device ,but they are
a .img file. What is a .img file ? and How can I view it? I
tried using WinImage ,but keep getting an error when I try to
open the .img file.Is there any easy conversion sites.

Thanks in advance ,and have a great day.

I was poking around on irfanview's website and to view .img files, you need a plugin (which is available on their website).

Thanks for the responses. I downloaded the IrfanView and I
tried to open the file and I get this response:

E:\0074568.img
Can't read file header
unknown file format or file not found

Would this be a need for that plugin that you were discussing?
or would it be a security motive with this file, to view with
special software?

Thanks,

Remember, file extensions are not absolute or guaranteed. That could be a proprietary format, or even just a renamed format. Best bet is to contact the vendor of the equipment, and ask what the real file format is.

that is correct, just beacause someone decided to use known extension (like .img), it does not mean that files they create follow any standard. when installing irfanview, there are two files - main program and plugins. (http://www.irfanview.net/)
one nice thing about irfanview is that it reads and analises header and tells you if the file is using wrong extension.