1784-KTX(B) card Driver Rslinx

SNK

I am faced with the daunting task of repairing a failed PC on one of our pieces of equipment. (Win95)

The 1784-KTX(B) card that was used is not co-operating with my new Xycom PC (WinXPPro) residing in the ISA slot. I have read the manuals a million times (Interrupt settings), and have installed many of these in years past, but I am missing something with this one..

I cannot seem to find the driver in Rslinx that specifies the KTX card directly, there is only an option for the KT card or the KTX(D) card. Forgive me, I cannot tell you what version Rslinx I am using, other than I think that it is 2.5xx. ( I am at home now, and I cannot rest until this is solved!)

Does anyone know if the recent versions of Rslinx support this legacy card? I see lots of references to the card being supported under WinXPPro, but only the KTX(D) card is referenced, not the plain old 1784-KTX card.

I cannot even find out what version Rslinx that was originally being used for the original application, as the HD is fried.
It was using the FIX ABR 6.x driver, utilizing a KTX card as the DH+ gateway.

I am really just wondering if this 1784-KTX (B) card is supported in Rslinx, and if it is, could someone tell me which driver to use?

Thanks am million.

The 1784-KTX(D) is the correct RSLinx driver for the 1784-KTX(D) card.
It supports both the one and dual port cards.
See KB note below for RSLinx Ver. support.

RSLinx Classic v2.51.00 and later does not support the 1784-KT, 1784-KTX(D) and 1784-KTC(X) cards on Windows 2003 R2. They are supported only on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
Just make sure that the configuration in RSLinx matches the switch settings of the card.

Also check the E3 jumper ( you said you had this card in a old computer) see pdf for more info on this.

I have heard of power problems with some new computers not supplying enough power for those old cards. I can't find the KB on that one though. Probably one of those little red locked ones. I don't have a support contract.

Last edited:
Mickey's answer is the one you asked about,

( I am at home now, and I cannot rest until this is solved!)
To show it is solve-able
If the issue requires you to go to PKTX then a more sensible option is to put in a Control Logix Gateway which can be done for the price of the PKTX.
All thats needed is a 4 slot rack, a DH+RIO card and a ENBT and use Ethernet either TCP/IP or ETHIP

The 1784-KTX(D) is the correct RSLinx driver for the 1784-KTX(D) card.

Thanks for the reply Mickey.

Did you mean that the 1784-KTX(D) is the correct Rslinx driver for the 1784-KTX(B) card that I have?

This is the part that puzzles me. I don't see a reference to just a KTX card, without the version number,

Gii47, thanks for your input.

I don't have the option to install a gateway in this application.
I have many other options that would come prior to the gateway.
I have done that in the past, with great success, but this production line is slated to be de-commissioned in the future, so it will not be getting that kind of "upgrade".

The "D" is for dual port. I don't know what the "B" means, unless its a series. The RSLinx driver 1784-KTX(D) supports both the single and dual port cards.

Ktx Card

Oh yes the fun... This card needs a base address and at least 4K of free memory after this address. D400 and D700 are two that I have used on XP machines. Setting ISA cards up with XP was so much a pain we bought all KTXb cards. Try each address and reconfigure the driver after each. There are many and it could take hours. Use device manager and check the cards you have installed and the resourses that XP reports that each is using. This will show what is being used and speed up the process. Check sound cards, modems, network cards and other Com port cards. Dont forget the Interrupts. I dont think you need to set this. If you don't use them the jumper must be set right or it will not work. I assume you tried to install the card with the software that came with the card? Somtimes this has a diagnostic program that can help also.
It has been a few years and these are the tips I can remember.. Cheers..

Thanks Bruce for your input.

My first issue was that fact that when I configured Rslinx and set the driver as 1784-KTX(D), then start, the PC would give me an immediate BLUE SCREEN of death, and reboot the PC.

I would have to run in safe mode, and turn off the driver, and then reboot once again, each time that this happened.

I tried this about 10 times last night using the D700, and other settings. I lost steam around 1:30am. I just got to the point where it seemed like the driver and card just wasn't supported in WinXP Pro, hence my existence in this thread.

I think I may appoach Xycom on Monday morning, in order to find out if they have any help or information for me....
After all, that they may have a knowlegebase on automation people just liek myself adding this card to their platform PC.

I also have a Tech-Connect contract, but I needed to get more information before using the resources....and I don't think that our contract covers after-hours.

Am I OK using the version 2.5* Rslinx, or should I be using an older version, like 2.41 or so?

I even went as far as using a newer ABR driver(ver 7.29)with FIX32 that supported the PCMK driver,using my PCMK card and cable, connected to the DH+ pheonix connector. I was able to communcate that way with my application, but I need to get the card working in the Xycom PC on Monday.

Any additional information would be considered most valuable.
Thanks all.

I have done the same thing before. I added the driver and used the wrong settings (i think IRQ) and got the blue screen until I rebooted and went into safe mode and deleted the driver config.

Did winXP locate new hardware when the ISA card was inserted and rebooted?
I am curious, because I did not have to install the card drivers, or run some type of setup file in order for the PC to use the 1784-KTX card.
When my PC boots, it does not recognize any new 1784-KTX card, like many other pieces of hardware would.
Where exactly in device manager would I find the IRQ settings for the card that is installed?

Update...

I was able to properly configure the 1784-KTX card in the Xycom PC over the last couple of days.

Through the help of the Proface Group, (taken over Xycom), they were able to determine that the default Allen Bradley (D700) address for the card was causing a conflict with the other devices.
We found that switching to DC00 allowed the card driver to function properly.

So, here are the results.

Fix32 version 7.0
ABR 7.29k (AB 1784-KTX)
WinXp Pro SP2
Xycom 1715B IPC
AB 1784-KTX(B)DH+/RIO Card
Rslinx v2.43 (OEM)

All work properly together. I hope that this will help any future migration and compatabilty issues.

I was able to properly configure the 1784-KTX card in the Xycom PC over the last couple of days.

Through the help of the Proface Group, (taken over Xycom), they were able to determine that the default Allen Bradley (D700) address for the card was causing a conflict with the other devices.
We found that switching to DC00 allowed the card driver to function properly.

So, here are the results.

Fix32 version 7.0
ABR 7.29k (AB 1784-KTX)
WinXp Pro SP2
Xycom 1715B IPC
AB 1784-KTX(B)DH+/RIO Card
Rslinx v2.43 (OEM)

All work properly together. I hope that this will help any future migration and compatabilty issues.

Hi,

Good day to everyone. Wish you could share information on my issue, which I think is similar to mr thread starters topic.

There is this one PC standalone, Win NT, iFix 3 SCADA, DH+ via 1784-KTX Card for monitoring only. The client is asking for replacement.

I am planning to put into a new PC, and new SCADA maybe Wonderware.

I'm thinking like, I need to get the existing 1784-KTX Card and install it to the new PC, put the necessary drivers. And I plan to use Allen Bradley AB1784KT IO Server , version 7.5.0.4 and link it my SCADA.

What other things that I need to consider in buying a new unit and setting up the whole thing? What other things that I need to consider like licenses on the AB side?

I would appreciate for your guidance.

Thanks.

deljvk :)

There is this one PC standalone, Win NT, iFix 3 SCADA, DH+ via 1784-KTX Card for monitoring only. The client is asking for replacement.

I am planning to put into a new PC, and new SCADA maybe Wonderware.

I'm thinking like, I need to get the existing 1784-KTX Card and install it to the new PC, put the necessary drivers. And I plan to use Allen Bradley AB1784KT IO Server , version 7.5.0.4 and link it my SCADA.
No, it is not the same situation as the original topic.
You havent described the "new PC", but it is possibly at least Win 7 and PCI or PCI express. This wont work with the old KTX card.
One way to go would be to go via USB adapter for DH+ such as 1784-U2DHP.
The U2DHP is reasonably future-proof due to being USB based. It also works with virtual PCs which will be important for legacy applications.

Another way would be to somehow migrate to ethernet. Either by some kind of gateway or by replacing the PLCs for Ethernet capable types.
This way is more future-proof as DH+, despite being quite popular, is a rapidly dying protocol.

To SNK
I did it 5 years ago, moved 1784KTX card from old PC with windows NT to new PC with
Windows XP.
1. We ordered PC with socket for ISA card
2. Put the card in socket
3. Install program KTXDIAG in PC (possible only in dos operation system)
4. Parameters :
interrupt = 0
DH+ addr = 77
DH485_addr = 1
DH485_daud = 19,200
5. After finish this we move card to "RUN"
6. with Windows XP - install RSlinx 2.40
7. Install RSlogic 500 V8.10

It is working until today with no problem