ASCII to Eweb module

Kev77

Good Morning,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get ASCII strings from ethernet? I used the AB example to set up the sockets and it is connected, but I get an error on the read MSG instruction. The unit I am connected to streams data every 10 seconds with the following data;

07:01:10 01-25-2009 25.444 192.458 327.546 126.001 138.114 139.138

I am able to see the strings when connected with hyper terminal on the TCP IP and port.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:
I am getting :

Error 16#00FF (General error)
Extended error 16#0000_0036

I spoke with the weekend Rockwell tech and they said it can't be done. I have heard that it can.

Thanks for the response!

Kevin

Last edited:
EWEB socket interface is exaclty designet to do this, I see no problem to accomplish this

If you take a look at the page 155 of the manual recomended abouve, you can find that erro 16#0000_00036 is connection reset by peer. It means that another device that EWEB is talking closed the connection for some reason.

Why?
Most likely inactivity.
Or device expected some string from you in some time interval?
You need to ask device vendor about this. This has nothing to do with EWEB.

I would recomend you to enable EWEB logging and try to establish connection.

Once you got an error read the log to see what happened.
You can post log here and I will take a look.

Well, I figured it out. I had the string length at 0 instead of 100 on the read destination. As soon as I moved it to 100, I started getting dn bits.

I am getting string data at 10 second intervals, Do I need to close the connection or can I leave it open and have a higher timeout rate?

Thanks for the response.

Kevin

No, you don't have to close connection, but you need to change socket timeout value (5 minutes default)
Also you need to add logic to check conenction status and if it's closed for any reason, reopen it. You may need to re-create socket as well if it's gone.

No, you don't have to close connection, but you need to change socket timeout value (5 minutes default)
Also you need to add logic to check conenction status and if it's closed for any reason, reopen it. You may need to re-create socket as well if it's gone.

You say to change the defaust timeout value, What triggers the time out? If I have streaming data at 10 second intervals, If I have a timeout value of 30 seconds, would that keep the socket open. I know there are multiple timeouts and I am trying to set them all up. I am using a open socket, connection request, and a read msg. I am not writing to anything.

Thanks,

Kevin

You say to change the defaust timeout value, What triggers the time out?
Inactivity will close socket.

I am talking about Socket Instance timeout, it is 5 minutes by default and I would not reduce it, if you want to make it larger thet you change attribute 7 of the socket instance.

Other timeouts should be set also, but this is longer discussion than I can put in short message.