ControlLogix to ModBus Plus

bradyk

Hey all,

What is the best way to communicate from ControlLogix to an MB+ network? Currently we have some triggers that go through an RSView Panel, but I have heard that it is relatively slow and that the RSView is only useful for putting some controls on the Panel, like we have. RSView connects to the MB+ via KEPServerEX. So:

1. Is there any way to connect ControlLogix to KEPServerEX easily or do we need some other software, maybe RSLinx(I don't even really understand RSLinx)?

2. OR do we need to purchase some sort of a card or driver that is made for this purpose?

1:You can do it using your PC as a bridge, but that solution ultimatedepends on your Operating system being reliable and although Windows is now pretty good I think it is still too flakey for this type of work.
2:You can use something like a Redlion Data Station as a gateway/protocol converter so that it talks to both your controllogix and your modbus network.
3: Buy a Modbus card for your controllogix system and connect that to your controllogix

My GUESS is that 2 would be most cost-effective solution , it would be a coin-toss as to wether 2 or 3 would be the most reliable (least prone to Operating system crash)

Are you sure Red Lion's DataStation Plus does Modbus Plus? Modbus Plus is a licensed technology, not an open standard. I'm not sure, I'm just asking . . .

Prosoft is A-B's partner for backplane Modbus modules, again, I'm not sure which model would support Modbus Plus, but you'd have to ensure that it's the 'Plus' version, not just generic Modbus.

Dan

I have used ProSoft ControlLogix MB+ modules with success in the past. Once setup, they are 100% stable, I have never had a problem with them.

They do have limitations, mainly with bi-directional data registers, and they are very expensive, but they do work well.

PM me if you want further details.

Hey so I just found out that we had a
Prosoft MVI56-MBP ControlLogix Platform Modbus Plus Communication Module. It was in a closet upstairs for some reason... I assume this is similar to the one you mentioned, any tips for setup?