Analog input scaling

jcraft

Bear with me here as I am new to programming. I have never done anything with analog inputs. So I am using a ge plc and have a pressure transducer with a 4-20ma output connected to an analog input card. The pressure transducer is rated for 0-5"WC. Now I am trying to understand how to bring this data in and scale it properly so the actual " of h20 are available in a register. Can someone just kind of go through the steps as to how to set this up. At this point I am not sure if any other info is needed. Thanks

Which model GE Fanuc PLC? What is the part number of your analog module? What programming software are you using? Some GE Fanuc PLCs have a scaling instruction in their function set. Some analog input modules include scaling in their configuration.

4-20 mA is seen by the PLC as 0-32000 ( 0= 4mA & 32000 = 20mA) To scale this use the Scale Int instruction. The help in Proficy explains this instruction very well.

As jseavers says, the raw data from the analog input will range from 0 at 4 mA to 32000 at 20 mA. This corresponds to a range of 0 - 5" water column. Unfortunately, the Scale instruction that jseavers mentions is not available in the 90-30, so you will have to do the arithmetic yourself.

Using Tom's method:
DataOffset = Data in input register at 4 mA (or zero analog signal of whatever range - for example 0 VDC on a 0-10 VDC transmitter)
DataOffset = 0

DataSPan = Data at 20 mA - Data @ 4 mA
DataSpan = 32000

FACTOR = arbitrary factor (multiple of 10) needed to get proper resolution and accuracy
FACTOR = 500

EU = Engineering Units x FACTOR

EUOffset = Engineering Units @ 4 mA x FACTOR
EUOffset = 0

EUSpan = (Engineering Units @ 20 mA - Engineering
Units @ 4 mA) x FACTOR
EUSpan = 500

DATA = Actual data reading in input register

EU = ((EUSpan x (DATA - DataOffset))/DataSpan) + EUOffset

ProcessValue = EU / FACTOR

Example: Analog data value = 16000 (50% of full scale)
EU = ((500 * (16000 -0))/32000) + 0 = 250
ProcessValue = 2.50"

You may find it easier to convert the data value from the analog input to a REAL data type before doing the calculations. Use the INT_TO_REAL instruction and don't forget that REAL variables use two consecutive %R addresses in the 90-30. Be careful that you don't overlap the addresses you assign to variables. The easiest way to avoid overlaps is to let Machine Edition pick the address for you. You do this by entering %R when inputting an address (instead of, for example %R00001). Machine Edition will select the next available %R address for you.

Sir i can not understand the above equation. If the transmitter is 0 to 100 psig and 4 to 20 mA and counts are 0 to 32760 then how i calculate the FACTOR and process value?
Is it possible i also check the under range and over range of the transmitter i think for that if i set the counts -2000 to 32760 then how i calculate? suppose at 21.5 mA over range and 3.75 mA is under range.
Regards