OPC Help

Plankman

Hi Guys

I hope someone can help me. We have a client that wants us to make a custom solution for their plant stops. If the plant stops, the operator has to select a reason why it stopped, then click ok, or else he won't be able to start the plant until a reason is selected. We were thinking of using a tag in WinCC to monitor for true/false. I just want to know what would be the best way to do this?

I'm busy making a small VB6 app with the reasons in combo boxes. Can I simply use a reference to the HMIRuntime via the network, or do I have to use OPC to set the tag once a reason is selected? Any examples would be appreciated.

Thanks

The VB6 app. you are writing in an OPC client, but you also need an OPC server to talk with the PLC. If you are using WINCC, then you don´t need anothe OPC server because WINCC can be an OPC server or client. If you are not using WINCC, then you need an OPC server like KEPServerEX, Simatic Net etc.