Networking AB L32E's and SCADA

Robot_Man

Hi Guys,

We have a networked AB system using L32E cpu's - 6 local control panels and a main one.

I wrote software for the 6 identical systems, but did change the tags between each one so they are individual. Each system is working fine on its own with the local PLC starting/stopping the 4 VSD's and setting the speed. There's also a 'trap' such that if the comms. are lost the VSD's default to a DOL frequency.

The 6 local PLC's are connected through a Hirschmann managed switch to a main PLC (with L32E) who job is just to monitor the running modes of the local controls and perhaps tell them to change mode sometimes or to switch on their fans to help neighbouring systems.

Also, an AB flat panel PC is running RSFactoryTalk and will need to get data/flags from all the PLC's and set VSD target frequencies to the local PLC's.

So, my dilemma is how best to communicate the data as the AB stuff I have read is copious and confusing! Our SCADA guy is familiar with RSView32 so all this is new to him!

We are familiar with RS500 and RSView32 but are getting confused with 'produced' and 'consumed' tags, how many we can have and how to set up the SCADA.

A few basic pointers on communication and configuration wouild be appreciated before we have to call-in AB at their horrendous rates!

Many thanks in advance!

I follow your setup, but not your dilemma. Getting the panel PC to communicate with any of the PLCs should be like any other. I'm not sure about the 'produced' and 'consumed' tags. What specific questions do you have on communication or configuration?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. We have setup a desktop PC with RSFactoryTalk development but struggled to see where exactly we tell the SCADA program what devices will be connected. This is all off-line since the live system is on site with the run-time software installed, so it's not a question of browsing!

The PLC's and VSD's all have static IP's of course, as does the PC. We just need a list of simple one-liners to get our basic SCADA set-up such that when we get to site it will connect and pick up tags from the existing devices. Also, it must then be possible to import the tag database from the PLC software rather than labouriously type in!

Sorry to appear a bit dense on this - I suspect a few pointers will sort us. As usual with AB, it's just not apparent from using the software!

Many thanks in advance.