need help controlling 24v solenoids

alan cranfill

Hello to all. First of all, I am a carpenter and have little experience with computers , but understand basic wiring. I built a shop press powered by hydraulics. The pump has 2 24v solenoids 60hz. I will be doing basic pressing and broaching. I would like something like a joystick that would have a variable speed. Up & down with center stop or float. On a budget. I looked up the danfoss model, but do not know much about it. Will I need a plc? all advice is welcomed. Thanks to all and have a great day! Alan

Hello to all. First of all, I am a carpenter and have little experience with computers , but understand basic wiring. I built a shop press powered by hydraulics. The pump has 2 24v solenoids 60hz. I will be doing basic pressing and broaching. I would like something like a joystick that would have a variable speed. Up & down with center stop or float. On a budget. I looked up the danfoss model, but do not know much about it. Will I need a plc? all advice is welcomed. Thanks to all and have a great day! Alan

Alan
If this is a manual operation I would think a manual two way hydraulic valve with proportioning (if you can get one that will meet your need) and maybe with throttle valves to give you a little more control of speed may be the better way to go.

You could go electric control
but the solenoid valves will not give you speed control just open / shut (I think)
UNLESS they are proportioning type valves.

IF mine and in your shoes I would hook up the two solendoids to two control switches and try it out. Will the pump even be able to produce enough pressure and flow to meet your needs?

I do not believe you would need a PLC to do this setup.
Dan Bentler

Last edited:
You won't be able to have variable speed unless you have a proportional valve. This would alllow you to use a PLC to control the amount a port is opened.

If you want joystick control why not just go for manual valve control with a lever for your up and down with a centre position that allows the system to float. You may also be able to achieve some speed control with this as well as it would rely on you controlling the valve opening/closing.

Jon.

I recommend a hand operated lever valve. They are inexpensive (less than $140), easy to hook up, and require no programming or wiring. Hand operated valves are available that have metering spools.

But there is a little more that we need to know before helping you select an actual model. Hydraulic valves have a variety of spools. The kind of valve spool you need will depend a great deal on your hydraulic pump. If you have a gear pump then you will want a valve that connects the P & T ports together when the valve is in the center position, known as a tandem center spool. If you have a pressure compensated axial piston pump (expensive pumps) then a valve with P & T ports blocked, or a closed center valve will probably be what you want.

Here is a tandem center spool valve for a gear pump: http://www.drillspot.com/products/40529/Prince_RD2555T4ESA1_Spool_Monoblock_Valve

Here is a closed center spool valve for a pressure comp pump: http://www.mcmaster.com/#4393t2/=dgmae

If in doubt use a tandem center.

But before making the final selection the valve needs to be size matched to your pump.
So knowing your pump type, pump displacement (flow rate), and pressure will help in making a recommendation.

Don't forget that a pressure relief valve is required or pressure will build until something breaks. Some hand operated valves have built in relief valves, so if you don't have a relief valve say so.

Again, more information will be really helpful, because if you are using one of the job site pump packs like Enerpac or PowerTeam makes then you'll need to stick with the valves supplied on the pack because of the pressures those units use.

tandemvsclosed.JPG

Last edited:
24v solenoid hookup

Thanks for the help. my pump is a 1/3 hp Oil system brand joined together. The part that has the 24v solenoids is duplomatic model mdib-s4/40. I was told today by a hyd pump place to change to 110 ac and add 2 flow devices. This pump came with a ram about 2 1/2 dia x 20 inches long.A flea market special. looks like its been rarely used. I would use this as pressing & broaching. Would like to control the down motion and return at regular rate. I am a home machinist so it wont see alot of production. I am saving all the advise I have been given.I am learning alot and it is a good feeling! Thanks again Folks