Telnet

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I'm curious if it is somehow possible to issue a telnet command from a PLC. Ultimately, I'd like to connect to a device from a PLC via TCP/IP start a telnet session and issue a few commands to the device. Not exactly sure how the connection would be made. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Greg

The best explanation of Telnet is this:

It's the same as using Hyperterminal, but without wires between communication (serial) ports between the two computing devices, just a tcp/ip connection. Simple ASCII data exchange. There is no 'protocol' or encoding to speak of.

If your plc had a serial port and you opened it and pushed text out of it, well, do the same with a tcp/ip connection to port #23 of the remote device.

Well,

A couple would be:

1.) AB CLX L61 processor, ENBT card in the rack. EWEB module could aso be used...
2.) AB L35-E
3.) AB L43 with ENBT card in the rack.

Greg