profibus profiles

benji

i have seen many profibus devices having their GSD files including more than one profile, like DRIVECOM ,PROFIDRIVE , Unit control.
whats the point of having many profiles? whats the difference among those profiles?

thanks for any help

In order for Profibus configuration software to configure a specific device, the device's GSD file must be included in the GSD file used to make the configuration. When the device GSD is added, using Siemen's GSD-Tool, then the devices modules are available in module assignment drop down menu. This GSD-Tool, a java script, is available free from Siemens website.

Good info:
http://www.profibus.co.kr/board/down/board/technic/gsd_e.pdf

Last edited:
thanks Almshouse
i did have a GSD file for an inverter and added it to the s7 manger,
inside this GSD file there are multiple options you can choose, called profiles,each has its one arrangment of the status and control words
(PROFIDRIVE, DRIVECOM) and each has its own way to change parameters of the inverter(slave)
my question is that i need to know the difference between these profiles and why there are more than one.

Why there is more than one? I'm not familiar with the devices you are talking about. The devices that I have come across with multiple gsd files, allow the user to choose which file he wanted to use based on what functionality was needed. Why? If you don't need all the bells and whistles, why take up all the reserved memory block of your profibus master. If you need a better answer than that I would contact the manufacture of the device.