PLC Micrologix 1200 and VB6

glideratio

Hi guys,
my task is to send/receive data from/to Micologix 1200 using VB6 (Visual Basic 6).
What version of RSLinx do I need for this application ?

Thank you
Regards
Mike

Is it possible to use DF1 protocol to communicate between Micrologix 1200 and VB6 ?
Or it doesn't matter at all for an RSLinx OPC server which communication protocol to use DF1,IP,etc
I'm gonna use DF1 rs-232.

Thanks

Regards
Mike

The question is whether to use rs-232 or ethernet for Micrologix 1200, PC with VB6, and 2 Mettler scales.
So far I have few options:

Please see 2 .jpeg files attached

Any comments welcome

Thanks

Regards
Mike

ip.JPG rs232.JPG

Last edited:
Personally, I use ethernet whenever posibble. In your case both would work as long as the distances between the PLC scale controllers and PC is short. One other thing to note is you will have to have specialized Serial port cards in the PC. IF you ever want to upgrade the PC you will have to change those cards with it.

On the ethernet side I would have everything go into a switch.

I just did some research and found that IP based network is more reliable.

Does anyone has any experience of communicating with Mettler scales over Ethernet using Visual Basic winsock?