Profibus - Multi Master

Manglemender

Is it posible to have a slave on profibus read by more than one master?

OK here's the scenario. I'm designing a control system for a fair sized production line (200M long) that turns rolls of aluminium sheet into blank printing plates. I'm considering having two seperate PLCs; One for web transport system and one for process control. The web transport system doesn't have that much I/O (actualy no remote O at all). I'd like to have all the remote I/O connected to the Process PLC and read the status of some I/O into the drive system PLC.

The reason for considdering two PLCs is logistical one to do with building, testing and commissioning multiple panels individually in the UK and simultaneously in China.

Any suggestions?

Nick

Last edited:
Is it posible to have a slave on profibus read by more than one master?

OK here's the scenario. I'm designing a control system for a fair sized production line (200M long) that turns rolls of aluminium sheet into blank printing plates. I'm considering having two seperate PLCs; One for web transport system and one for process control. The web transport system doesn't have that much I/O (actualy no remote O at all). I'd like to have all the remote I/O connected to the Process PLC and read the status of some I/O into the drive system PLC.

The reason for considdering two PLCs is logistical one to do with building, testing and commissioning multiple panels individually in the UK and simultaneously in China.

Any suggestions?

Nick

Hi Nick,

If you are using Profibus DP, you may share information through direct data exchange (see help). The attached image shows an example where the CPU from station 2 reads the data from station 1 (DP slave 3) through direct data exchange.

I hope it helps.