Horner Products and CScape

Have used the Horner TIU300 range (uses Cbreeze not Cscape) - Set as a Modbus master - neat, tidy looking screen (blue monochrome) for the money. Quite limited on functionality (ie no alarm history, time stamping etc), but for a cheapy cheerful HMI, they're ok. Had issues with some of their comms protocols, but the tech people in Ireland were quite happy to make a few tweaks to resolve things.

Have played around with the mini OCS 100 a little. For a combined PLC/HMI it's a very cost effective package (Think we paid about £350 for it). Quite a powerful instruction set for a mini PLC and quite a variety of comms options.

I used quite a few OCS250 at my last job, the programming software was fine but I had alot of quality assurance issues with equipment. The last two orders I had one bad screen and a bad analog card sent to me. Not the greatest odds for equipment reliability. :mad:

Unfortunately, the rap against Horner has always been lack of QA. If sdb83065's experience is typical and recent, it would appear that's still a problem. GE Fanuc also offers the OCS with their own part numbers. I don't know where the components are manufactured, or whether Horner components are made in a different location from GE Fanuc components. Horner's manuals have never struck me as being paragons on clarity either.

Its a great idea though, HMI and PLC integrated into one product with programming software that they give away for free. You can also network multiple OCS units and have them automatically share data. When they first introduced the product, I asked the Horner rep why they felt the need to develop another protocol for the CAN network chip (the same chip that DeviceNet uses). Their answer; You can upload and download OCS programs over the network. Try doing that on DeviceNet."

I interviewed for a job today and they are in the midst of taking out all the old machines and either rebuilding or building new. They are using these OCS units and networking them, they seem (or the Electrical Engineer at least) to be happy overall with their performance. They have the machine lines using these OCS networked together using cspan then network thru another unit to Ethernet.

The PE showed me a glimpse of the CScape software so I went to the Horner site and downloaded a copy (its free) just to get a feel for it. These things "seem" to offer alot of features that are missing in other brands. The software for these does BOTH, program the plc unit AND the HMI screens. You can access the program, online, from the screen AND edit the screen. When networked as these were you can access any plc/hmi on the netword and go online or modify the screen.

Personally I havent seen another system that does this, thats why I asked. I am not a fan of the GE style of programming, ie the % thing but these units seem to have taken the idea to another level.

Doesnt matter whether I get the job or not but the Horner products definitely are worth looking into. I just wondered what others had seen or dealt with.

I never had a problem with the software I thought it ws very flexible and does have some features others are lacking. One feature that is nice for an integrators standpoint is the ability to store the Database in the controller. My problem was with the hardware this was about 4 months ago and the reliability was terrible. I used to cringe every time I had to place a module in an OCS, they snap on the back at an angle forcing the pins in to the connecter. I felt like I was bending pins every time I seated one. It would be one thing if they were cost effective but they are expensive! Good Luck!

I think the QA has improved, That or I have been lucky. I have used 8-10 of the small XLE-105's and 2 of the NX250 OSC unuts, The NX250 has 4 smart stack modules on it, Analog output, Thermocouple, 2-I/O modules.
Though the projects have been reletively small the units have functioned great !! JMO