AB CompactLogix Ethernet Port

gwarman

Does anyone know if you can monitor the status of the ethernet port on an L32E/L35E processor for CompactLogix? I would think you should be able to monitor a Major/ Minor fault bit but I cannot find it easily. I would like to be able to flag the operator if my Wonderware HMI stops responding on the network.
Geo

What IOServer are you using? The WonderWare ones usually have a predefined item for each topic called "STATUS", which is a bool that indicates if communications exists to that topic.

Trying to monitor the CompactLogix fault registers won't work, if you want to ensure the health of the comms link...

Another typical solution, is just create a watchdog. Every xxx ms, Wonderware toggles a bit (or increments a counter). When the PLC sees that bit toggle (or counter increase) the PLC resets it.

If the PLC doesn't see a change of state in say, 1 second, it knows there is a comms problem. Ditto Wonderware, if it doesn't see the heartbeat bit/counter reset, it knows there is a problem.

George,

Depending on your IOServer in Wonderware there are system tags that will let you know if WW loses comm to the Compactlogix.
Another way to do this is to create a tag with the PLC Topic name and under item put "status". This will let you know if you have dropped out comms with the PLC.
If you want to monitor PLC fault status bits you need to look into GSV instruction. Logix5000 PLC's don't have many standard S: bits like the SLC and PLC5 family. Use the GSV instruction for ControllerDevice and use Attribute Name "Status" on an unconditional rung. This will put the PLC status INT into a tag that you select. Bits 8-11 are for minor and major fault flags. Use Logix5000 help on ControllerDevice as it explains all the variables of the PLC you can monitor.

Last edited:
Not being totally familiar with Wonderware... can you fashion a stay-alive watchdog setup?

The PLC can be set to clear a register on a periodic basis. If the Wonderware does not re-set the register in a multiple of the period, then set your "not responding" notification.

(sorry took me a while to respond and rdrast already suggested this)