Activations Problem

junior

I don't know what happened, but for some reason all of a sudden my RS software (RSLInx 5k & 500, RSView 4.0) that I have installed on my comptuter won't start. I run the files and the splash screen comes up and then that's it. It almost looks like it can't find the activation files on the C drive, but when I use EVmove all the license files are there. The only thing is I don't get a message that the software can't fine the activations. I tried moving the activations back to the floppy and then back to the C drive, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

Jr.

have you ran disk defragment on your hard disks?? i know this can be an issue with siemens S7 but not sure if it applies to RS stuff.

Nope no new software install. The only thing that would of changed was on friday I had to borrow one of my clients activations for RSnetworkx as I had mine on another laptop. They have a master disk that has the activations good for one year(I think they get it with their integrator package). I used that activation and everything worked fine, then I moved that activation back to their disk when I was finished on their site. The next time I used my comptuer was yesterday and nothing worked. I'm starting to wonder if by putting an activation on from a Master disk somehow messed everything up.

I've moved the activations back to the original disks, erased the Evrsi.sys and 386swap.par files from the root of the C drive and re-installed the activations and still nothing works. I think the only thing left is to format the hard drive and re-install everything. I don't know what else to try. Could anything be corupted in the registry?

I dont know if this will help or not but, I would suggest moving a copy of the two files (Evrsi.sys and 386swap.par) to another folder for backup to start with. Then I would do the same thing with the Projects folder. Next I would use the activation disk to move the activations back onto the floppy activation disk. Next I would uninstall completely then re-install the software package. Finally, I would re-activate the software.

I dont know if this will help or not but, I would suggest moving a copy of the two files (Evrsi.sys and 386swap.par) to another folder for backup to start with. Then I would do the same thing with the Projects folder. Next I would use the activation disk to move the activations back onto the floppy activation disk. Next I would uninstall completely then re-install the software package. Finally, I would re-activate the software.

I tried to re-install rslogix 500 and then copy the activation, but after the re-install, I rebooted the computer an now windows won't even boot up. It just gets to the point where windows starts booting up and the computer automatically resets. Not sure what happened, but it looks like I'm doing a fresh install of everything.

You do not say, but if I were you I would try doing a Windows System Restore, to a point prior to fri, as essentially the restore point is a copy of your registry as it was on the date chosen.
Also I would try running Disk Clean Up and then remove all temporary files that it finds on your laptop.

If you are lucky it might save a full reinstall,

You do not say, but if I were you I would try doing a Windows System Restore, to a point prior to fri, as essentially the restore point is a copy of your registry as it was on the date chosen.
Also I would try running Disk Clean Up and then remove all temporary files that it finds on your laptop.

If you are lucky it might save a full reinstall,

Thanks for all your input guys, I broke down and did a full re-install and now everything works great. Thank god I backed up all my activations, because they were stuck on my drive and I couldn't get windows to boot up.

Jr.

I always knew you could move activations around and put them on a dongle or network. How do you back them up?

I rebooted the computer an now windows won't even boot up. It just gets to the point where windows starts booting up and the computer automatically resets. Not sure what happened, but it looks like I'm doing a fresh install of everything.

Very often this results from a corrupted windows file and can be a sign of a failing harddrive. Next time, instead of reinstalling windows completely, plop in your install CD and select R (recovery console). At the dos prompt, run chkdsk /r and fixboot and 99 times out of a 100 it will correct the windows boot/reset issue.

I always knew you could move activations around and put them on a dongle or network. How do you back them up?

I use duplication factory and save the floppy images on my server. Of course, with factory talk, that's no longer possible.