upgrading logix 500

EBDanno

Hi there,
I have rescued a micrologix1200 and logix 500 v 4 and v5 upgrade from the "never to be used again" pile at work. I want to practice with this set up to gain some experience. I have loaded v4 onto my Windows XP computer at home. unfortunately this version only shows micrologix 1200 'ser A'.
I have 'ser C'. At work we had the upgrade and that had 'ser C'. When i try the upgrade on my XP machine an error comes up saying i need something for windows NT. Thus it seems this v5 wont run on XP.
My question is what can I do. I think I will need to upgrade and part with some coin. Might there be some other way i can get my micro logix 1200 ser C working?
To possibly complicate things I am in Australia.

cheers
Dan

Well I wouldn't put any money on this, but you might take a look at the Rockwell site and see if might allow you to upgrade to a newer, yet not newest version without a service contract.

They are up to something like version 8. something. Maybe, just maybe you'll be able to upgrade to a less than new version.