usb ports

Hello alakhgulati.

I know that some PLC's have USB device ports, and they can be used to program via a USB host port on the programming PC.
Examples that I know are Modicon M340 and Mitsubishi Q series.

Completely different are the embedded PCs, working as PLCs, that have USB host ports onboard. To these you can attach USB devices. Embedded PCs running Windows CE has a limited number of compatible USB devices. Embedded PCs running Windows XP Embedded can in principle connect to any USB device.
Examples of Embedded PCs running as PLCs with USB ports are Beckhoff CX series, and Siemens Microbox 427B RTX.

Horner APG's Model XL6 all-in-one controller also incorporates a USB programming port that allows you to program the unit directly using a standard USB interface cable.

xl6usb.jpg

AB ControlLogix EN2T also has a USB port.

One of the issues with USB ports is the maximum length limitation (5m) of your USB cable. In an industrial setting it may not always be practical to locate your programming terminal within this limitation. Also, USB may not be used in locations where a potentially explosive atmosphere exists.

Last edited:
What about Beckhoff?

You can run your program on a PC working as a PLC with TwinCat but also, their PLC's have USB ports.

Last edited: