PLC 5 Messages

dadara

I have a brand new PLC5/40E series: F, revision A.2 processor, that I installed in existing old 16 slot A4B chassis where older 5/40E e-2000 rev B controller resided. Now some of my messages don't work any more. When I move processor in a 1771A1B B chassis everything works fine. Could there be an issue with older chassis not supporting some messaging features? By the way all messages are in between PLC5 and SLC controllers.

The 1771 chassis in not involved in messaging, so there's definitely no logical compatibility issue.

My guess is that the chassis has some power supply or grounding problems that are interfering with signalling on whatever communication channel you are using.

Questions for further investigation:

Is it Ethernet, DH+, or DF1 messaging ? Is it always the same target controller that fails ? Are you able to trap error messages ? Have you looked at port statistics ?

The existing rack supports older processor and all messages execute fine. It is two messages that are giving me problem, and I cannot catch error message because pops up only for a fraction of a second. I'm messaging trough Ethernet, the only thing that is different is older processor has that Ethernet adapter plugged in channel 2 and new one plugs straight in. Again I have about ten messages running write/read but only two fail when I switch the processor.

Hmm.

The new PLC-5E Series F controllers, as you've seen, have a new Ethernet daughterboard that includes a 10/100 Mb/s RJ-45 socket instead of the old 10 Mb/s half-duplex AUI port.

When you move between chassis, are you also moving to different Ethernet switches ? A duplex or speed mis-match would probably affect all messages, but it shouldn't be overlooked.

Try using the /ER bit from your failing messages to store the error code.