RSLOGIX Emulate 500

dabanani

I recently started learning Allen Bradley PLC programming and have been using the emulate 500. I want to find a way to have simulation switches and outputs so i can click on them to turn them off or on rather than going in to the data table to do this. Do anyone know how to create button to represent switches in emulate 500?

YOur help will be ver y helpful.
Thank you.

If you have RSLogix500 Professional, you can use the Custom Graphical Monitors. They are similar to Custom Data Monitors except they have some crude buttons, gauges and other "HMI-like" stuff.

Setting up a CGM is fairly straightforward except assigning tags. To do that you must drag and drop the address onto the CGM object. I usually set the CGM for "On Top" so that they don't disappear behind a ladder window when I am assigning addresses.

If your CGMs are greyed out, then you could use the custom data monitor (CDM) which is available in the standard version of RSLogix.

The CDM is just a list of addresses (of your choosing), their values and descriptions. Use the keyboard or drag and drop to enter addresses, and if you enter text that RSLogix doesn't recoginize, it will be treated as a comment to allow you to divide your address list into groups.

Hope this helps,
Paul

'RSLOGIX Emulate 500'

Thank you very much OkiePC. I was able to create a simulation of my classroom plc station. One thing i am unable to do is to make a push button or a switch that will act like push button

Yes I am using Custom Graphical Monitors in RS Logix 500 Pro.
your help will be highly appreciated.

For a maintained button, I found that I could use the TOGGLE button most easily.

I also have several buttons on my CGM that are 'supposed' to be read only, but clicking on them still changes their appearance momentarily. This does not appear to affect the real addresses, only the appearance in the CGM.

The NORMAL type of button with a write style of "Send Up and Down" seems to work fine for me as a momentary PB.

Again, to get the address assigned to the button, you have to drag and drop the address from a ladder view or from a data table window. There is no way to assign the address by typing it in.

EDIT: One other quirk...in my rather elaborate CGM for a robot cell, I have some indirect addresses pointing to a string file. These values are the product names presently selected. They don't update correctly when I first go online, and always show old values until I stop (uncheck Run) and then restart the CGM...

Hope this helps...
Paul

CGM Maintained Button.jpg

Last edited:
Using compre function

Is it possible to compare the values of counters in rslogix 500. I am working on a problem to turn on a light based on which counter is greater in value. Please help.

Displaying error messages

Thank you guys for all your help. I have another question. I am thinking of displaying an error message when certain instruction comes true. Forexample when accumulation of two counters are equal, I want to display a messge. My trouble is where to read and write message or words. I was thinking this in my head and I want to know if its possible to do such programming?
Thanks

Yes, you can do that. Now - I'm not going to tell you how, but try to help you discover how by yourself...

First, how would you use a one of the comparison instructions to test if a counter is equal to a particular constant value?

Then, if you know how to do that, how might you tweak that code to test if the two counter accumulators are equal to each other?

Then, how are you going to trigger the message to be displayed?

Try to work through it first, show us what you've come up with, then we can help you if there are problems with it...

Thank you, I was able to make camparison of counters accumulation.
The ouput turns on a light. Now i want to display a message when ever that light is one. I tried to use MSG function which i believe has read / write subfunctions. I am not sure if i am using the right function for reading and writing messages.

To display the messae, I like to copy the DDE / OPC link to excel. I have done this for the counter accumulations and I was able to see life data from counters on excel. I want to do thesame for the display of message once i know how to read/write the message to a memory location.

I attached copy of the code in MS Word.