CLX-L63 EtherNet Messaging

vinayakid

Hi,
Can anybody help me on EtherNet messaging used in AB ControlLogix ?
I want to send a data from PLC (L63) to MS Excel using EtherNet Message. ie. I have a message that sends data from PLC to an module over EtherNet (using MSG instruction). This module is basically a protocol convertor (non AB Product). Now instead of that module I want PLC to send data in MS Excel using same MSG instruction !
Please guide me on how to do this.

Note that I have RSLinx lite installed on my PC.

Hi,
Can anybody help me on EtherNet messaging used in AB ControlLogix ?
I want to send a data from PLC (L63) to MS Excel using EtherNet Message. ie. I have a message that sends data from PLC to an module over EtherNet (using MSG instruction). This module is basically a protocol convertor (non AB Product). Now instead of that module I want PLC to send data in MS Excel using same MSG instruction !
Please guide me on how to do this.

Note that I have RSLinx lite installed on my PC.

Excel won't listen to MSG instructions, or to any communications at all unless you program up some VBA module for it. Even so, a MSG is probably not worth it.

Get a DDE/OPC Server, and just use that and some VBA for reading information into Excel. There are examples of the DDE link setup here, and on the Rockwell site.

The most straightforward way to get data from a ControlLogix in Microsoft Excel is to use a DDE link between Excel and RSLinx Classic. You will need the Single Node, Professional or Gateway version of RSLinx to provide DDE services.

The most common mechanism is to have RSLinx periodically poll the controller for data. If you absolutely must have the controller "push" the data via MSG instruction, you can use the Unsolicited connection type.

All the information you need to do this is included in the RSLinx Online Reference file.

Thanks for the suggestions.
But I want it for different purpose.
Currently the CLX is sending data through EtherNet MSG (CIP Generic) to a lantronix device. This device is basically a EtherNet to RS-485 convertor. Now I want to emulate the data which I am sending to the lantronix device. Therefore without using Lantronix convertor, I want it to use in Excel or similer application.

Thanks for the suggestions.
But I want it for different purpose.
Currently the CLX is sending data through EtherNet MSG (CIP Generic) to a lantronix device. This device is basically a EtherNet to RS-485 convertor. Now I want to emulate the data which I am sending to the lantronix device. Therefore without using Lantronix convertor, I want it to use in Excel or similer application.

/sigh.

Maybe just Search here for "Data Logger" or "OPC Logger" (or google either), and go from there.

I don't think there is any "Lantroninx" driver for "Excel" or something "Similar".