PDA's

Sarah

Currently we use Kepware running on a laptop utilizing a cell modem and cell phone to call into our plants remotely. Has anyone used a PDA for remote control? If yes what software in your PDA? Apparently the Kepware server is not CE capatible. Also does anyone know what other operating systems PDAs use. Any and all information will be helpful. Thanks :)

PDAs

We had used Palm PDAs for simple, "write a message, print via serial port" to mimic bar code entries. We wanted to expand that to broader communications apps, however, our PDA developer has informed us that Palm has, for practical purposes abandoned serious OS support for communications. His attempts to make serial and IR functions work failed and according to him, the web is full of complaints from developers just like him who find the core code faulty, and no one at Palm is interested in fixing it.

Our developer is now implementing USB, serial and infrared serial communications on the Windows CE version on Pocket PCs.

It might be prudent to stick with Pocket PC line, as opposed to Palm, given the experiences of those attempting to use field communications on PDAs.

Dan