How can Estimate the Bandwidth needed for Ethernet?

rleon

Hi:

We are in stalling a Ethernet/IP Network with 4 ControlLogix with two A-17 chasis each one, connected by Cnet between chasis. Each Clgx has a DEvicenet Scanner with a MCC with about 30 nodes ach one. All Clgx are connected through a Ethernet Switch and then will communicate with a remote Switch via optical fiber to the Scada system (PC Ethernet cards, Switches and Clgx Ethernet are 100 Mbps).

They are also planning to install a wireless communication between plant (Clgx switch) and the Scada system (remote switch) to act as a momentary backup in case of any problem with the fiber (rats eaters, pulls, breaks).

The supplier is offering a 14 Mbps system and the question is how to make an offline estimation of my bandwith between switches (plant and Scada) to know if the wireless is going to work OK or with latency (don't care for now about interferences, my question only points to bandwidth and velocity of transmitting data).

The fiber is not installed yet, so the only test that I can make is an offline estimation or install a laptop to connect to the Ethernet/IP switch in plant, but I need a. I tried to look with RSNwetworx but the edit option doesn't show me any data, although I can see the IP nodes in the spreadsheet.

Thanks!

It seems to me that if you want redundancy for broken cables, then what you want is redundant loop wired Ethernet (redundant wiring between switches). For example, Moxa make very simple un/managed switches that support loop architectures (example with Turbo Loop, sub 20ms recovery if one cable) breaks). Very simple to configure (figure about half an hour to learn all you need to know) and no unpredictable performance loss in case of fault. Pull the cables down different routes to provide physical security, and you have a system that peforms better at significantly reduced cost.

Hi:

Yes, the redundacy for broken cables are planned in the switches that be installed (the fiber cord is with 6 cables), but also we want to install wireless, so the question is if a 14 Mbps transceiver is enough to support my connection. I was reading a Ethernet Performance manual and estimating the packages per second of all the ControlLogix, it seems to be enough.

Thanks!