Testing CompactLogix Inputs.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
This is my first project with RSLogix 5000 and a CompactLogix.
I have a very basic question.
I'm trying to test the inputs, basically forcing the inputs ON and seeing if the corresponding lights turn ON on the input module.
Even though the force is accepted, the light on the input module does not goes ON. It should, right?

Any clues are welcome!
Thanks!

Actually, no. The LED on the input card simply tells you that the input card senses voltage at the input point and is passing that information to the CPU.

An input force is only affecting the input "image" or data table of the PLC. Input forces effectively bypass the input card and its LEDs. The purpose of an input force, is to make the program believe that a particular input point is in a particular state, regardless of what the input card "thinks".

Now, an output force is different, because forcing an output actually does intend to cause the output point to turn on, and the output image including the force, will get copied to the output card and cause the LED to illuminate.

EDIT: To actually test the inputs, you should apply the proper signals to them (with a jumper wire for example) and watch the LEDs and, more importantly, your programming software for a change of state at each point.

Paul

Last edited: