Powerflex 70, Profibus, and TI545/555

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone done this combo? I've done MM440s with TIs no problem, but I'm wondering if with PF70s I'll get bit/byte swap issues because AB is 0 to 15 and TI is 16 to 1 on MSB/LSB.

Hello Robert Mee

I never connected drives to the TI but I connected Siemens ET200 M I/O to it.
The analog values from Siemens are different then they are with TI.
TI scales from 0-32000 0-20mA or 6400-32000 4-20mA.
Siemens ET200S and ET200 M I/O scales from 0-27648 0-20mA or 5530-27648 4-20mA.

If you make use of the profibus I/O using a 505-7202 FIM module in a remote base then you have to make a byte swap here.
When you connect it to the profibus port from the CPU in my situation a CTI 2500-C400 (replacement of the TI555-1102) then you can don’t have to do byte swapping.

When connecting Wago I/O over profibus to a FIM module or directly to the CPU in both situations you can read in the I/O directly without doing byte swapping.
(Wago analog I/O is scaled 0-32764 0-20mA).

It’s also good to know that if you ever want to connect Siemens ET200 S I/O to the profibus port of your TI plc that you can only configure 16 modules in the ET200 S this is a limitation of the 555.
When you ever make a switch over to the CTI plc,s then you won’t have this problem also your scan time will be the halve of what it is in a 545/555 when you are using many special functions,subroutines and loops because all special functions are running compiled in the CTI processors.

With Siemens when you have a input word for example IWO then the left byte is the low byte and the right byte is the high byte so just the opposite of TI.

I know this doesn’t answer your question directly but since you didn’t have to do no byte swapping with the MM440,s (assuming that you are meaning here a Siemens Micromaster 440 drive) then I don’t expect problems here.

I also Assume here that you want directly connect to the profibus port on the CPU?
The only problem can be if you make use of the build in profibus configurator in workshop(assuming that you are programming with workshop and not with Tisoft) that it can have some difficulties with the GSD file but in that situation you can still make use of com profibus.
When you make use of workshop build in profibus configurator then you should use the latest version of workshop 4.32 (at workshop 4.30 the profibus configurator has been build into the package)that can be downloaded at the Fastrak site.
http://www.fast-soft.com/page.php?39

Regards
Henny

Henny....Thanks for the reply. I've ton tons of E200 I/O on Profibus to TIs, using Com Profibus, so there is no issue there in setting up a network. Been there done that. I just know for example when I connect Yaskawa Servo drives via Profibus to TI I've had to do some bit swapping. I'm hoping that's not the case with Powerflex 70s.

Robert,

How did the PowerFlex on ProfibusDP to TI-545 work out ?

I have a customer who wants to do the same thing but is concerned that the byte swap will be an issue. I don't think that a couple rungs of ladder logic are too difficult, but he's concerned about maintenance getting confused about the interface.

I know that the PowerFlex Profibus DP interface is built to match up with Siemens S7, so that Bit 00 (Siemens) = Bit 00 (PowerFlex).

But the TI-545, I don't know.

What was your experience ?

Ken, I responded to your e-mail, but for archive purposes....

Byte swap wasn't an issue. 16 bit words are still 16 bit as far as speed reference, speed feedback, etc. Even though TI swaps the order of bits (16 to 1 vs 0 to 15) it doesn't affect word transfers. 32727 written to the WY is still full speed. The status and command bits are reversed however, so a stop command is bit 16 and a start command bit 15 (instead of 0 and 1). To make it easy for the customer who was used to writing whole words to their MM440's, we just write a value of 17 to the command word to stop, 18 to run forward and 34 to run reverse. Or do it via individual bits, just remember to swap the order (16 to 1 = 0 to 15)