RSLogix5000 - Tag used or not?

TheStarr

I know someone had to have asked this but I can't find anything by searching.

How do tell if a tag is used or not in RSLogix 5000?

Example: I have a group of booleans to be used as "one shot"s

ONS[64]

So there are 64 available one shots. Only 20 or 30 are used and I need to use another.

Right now I just guess and start checking the cross-reference for each one until I find an unused tag.

Is there an easier way? Like how RSLogix 500 greys-out the used bits.

RS5000 also greys out used bits. Instead of creating an Array of Booleans, create an array of DINT and use the bits as booleans. Otherwise the only way to find out if a memory location is used that I know of is via the cross reference.

Also the documentation of the DINT is defaulted on the bits. So you can create a tag name of "General ONE-SHOT Storage" and it defaults all of those bits to the same description.

Last edited:
I have noticed that on the DINT, I will use that in the future, good idea! Unfortunately the different Integrators we use like to use the boolean array.

Clicking on the base tag is easier the what I have been doing. Not sure why I never thought of that before? Thanks Freddie.

When they are in one register, it makes it easier to check status and clear as well. Also if you are working with an HMI, the communications response should be faster.

Freddie's anser "Check cross reference on ONS only, this should give you all used ONS[x]. Just look for any not referenced."

are correct