PLC5 RIO to PV+ TRYING TO BT FLOATS OR WORK AROUND

ptine

Hey guys, sure would appreciate any help with this one. I've set up a 1000 PV+ and am trying to Block Transfer, using RIO, values greater than 32,767 e.g. 200,000. I thought that I might get lucky and set up a BTW that was configured to use floating numbers. No joy, the BTW worked but data being transfer is all over the place. I suspect that it has something to do with the PV+ (using the RIO protocol)just being able to handle the first word in the F-type data file. I played with that until I was good and frustrated and then thought I should try a different approach. I created a little procedure that would manipulate my original value by subtracting the 3 LSD and then divide what was left over by a 1000 e.g 123,456 - 456 = 123,000/1000 This basically would create two distinct 3 digit numbers (123 & 456) that I tried to BT into the PV+ and then tried to write an expression that reversed my math and displayed the correct value in my connections/expressions tab. My syntax returns valid but RSView locks up as soon as I hit OK and I have to close it using my task manager. There has to be any easy work around but I'm completely frustrated and need a bit of guidance. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's cheesy but it works, any other ideas?

I was out in the field and the following idea came to me. Use two different displays that are touching each other and put the 3 MSD in the left numeric display and the 3 LSD in the right numeric display. Address them accordingly and wella......fromage. I know its a sad desperate fix but I need to hammer this project down. Nonetheless, I will wait patiently for a more "professional" approach. PV+ and RIO are less than ideal to work with.

Anyone? Please

Just giving this post a bump. This post really demonstrates how outdated RIO is!!!!

This post really demonstrates how outdated RIO is!!!!

Its not that RIO is outdated, its that RIO to PV, we have all done 1 but have never done 2.

Is there any reason that it has to be RIO, how about RS232, or DH+, or if possible Ethernet.

My feeling is that BT do not transfer anything but a word, that in my view means an Integer.

Last edited:
Have tried to do a similar project using the hardware you have.

Gave up in the end and swapped over to DH+, same physical media as RIO which you have. Do you have DH+ on your PLC 5 ?

Have you tried using the COP command to copy your floating point number to two consecutive integers, and then using an alias tag in the PV+ to read those 32 bits as a floating point?

The COP will produce a bit for bit replica of the source. Use a length of two to get one whole floating point address (32 bits) to copy into two consecutive integers.

To create the alias tag, right click on the BT Read in your View Studio project tree, and select Alias Tag...

I don't have the hardware to test this... but it might work...

Paul

Thanks for the info. I just woke up. Won't be back to work for another 2 days but I'll try building an application using DH+ and I'll also try OKIE's suggestion. When I figure something out I'll report back so that the next poor sap who is given a similiar project with this hardware doesn't have to go through the frustration that I have gone through. I spent a lot of time searching for info. Thanks again gentlemen.