TwinCAT newbi question

hapetter

Hi.
I have a Beckhoff CX 9000 controller.

I like to download code to the controller but im not sure how this is done.

First. I have made a small PLC program. Then linked the software to hardware in system manager. Now, how do I download code to CX controller from my laptop?

Thanks.

Best regards
Hans P

Hi.
I have a Beckhoff CX 9000 controller.

I like to download code to the controller but im not sure how this is done.

First. I have made a small PLC program. Then linked the software to hardware in system manager. Now, how do I download code to CX controller from my laptop?

Thanks.

Best regards
Hans P

Hi,

Connect your CX and PC to same ethernet network.

In System Manager you highlight configuration, then you select "Choose Target".
Here you can do a broadcast search and the manager will scan you network for connected controllers.

Hopefully you can now see your controller and be able to make a connection.

My response may be a little late, but I'll post it for future references. This video will take you through the process of connecting to a CX processor. It uses a CX1020 in the video, but the same applies to all current CX series processors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T171NIyH74

Keep in mind this is based on an "out of the box" CX. If you set the IP address on the CX, then it will change things a little.

After getting the communications configured, you will need to link some IO and you can see how to do that in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_nFE9wx8OM

After that go to PLC Control and do the following:

1) Online->Choose Run-Time System
2) Find your processor in the list and expand down with the +
3) Click on "Run Time" to highlight and click OK
4) Online->Login
5) It will ask if you want to download, click Yes
6) Online->Run

my $0.02

I've had only limited exposure to a TwinCAT system, but it seems that bad things happen if you change the program without making a boot file. Plus, as far as I know, there is no way to upload a program. So you can easily find yourself in a situation where the offline file does not match the online file and there is no way to see what the difference is.

it seems that bad things happen if you change the program without making a boot file.
If you don't create a boot project, then when power is cycled, the program will revert back the the last time a boot project was made, which can get you into trouble.

Plus, as far as I know, there is no way to upload a program. So you can easily find yourself in a situation where the offline file does not match the online file and there is no way to see what the difference is.
As far as I know you can perform a "download source code" on all except the BC series of processors. This allows you to upload the program from the processor without having the original on your PC.

Whenever I start a new project, the first thing I do is go to Project->Options->Source Download and change it to "Implicit on Create Boot Project". That way it keeps my downloaded source code in sync with the boot project.

Hi guys!

I tried the "Sourcecode Download" on a PC that has twincat runtime installed but I don't know what happens then.

I get a small windows saying "source from 192.168.50.1.1" or something like that, but then my code in the PLC-Control program doesn't change???? Where does the source code save to so i can view it???

Matic

Where does the source code save to so i can view it???
To view source code that was downloaded to the TwinCAT runtime, do the following:

1) File->Open
2) Click PLC button
3) Select processor type (PC/CX on a PC based system)
4) Find your controller in the list and expand down to see the runtime (if TwinCAT runtime is on same PC, then expand down local)
5) The source code will then be uploaded. You may get a message about overwrite libraries, 99% of the time you will click Yes To All