Help does DH+ directly pass thru ch1a to ch2a on plc 5

not4u2c

I have a plc 5/40 connecting with data highway connected to both channels 1a and 2a. When on one channel, with laptop, I only see what is connected on the highway to that channel only. Shouldn't I see everything on both sides of data highway if I'm using both channels?

I would have thought so,

But, thinking about it more, they are clearly separate networks, that can be comprised of up to 128 nodes, with 2 separate networks of 64 nodes.

Electrically, the connections are separated from what I understand.

Good question, maybe Ken can let us all know for sure.
I have never run into that many devices on 2 networks before to see this....

DH+ networks can be linked together because the DH+ protocol allows for a Link ID as well as a Node ID. This is how the Gateway functions of the PLC-5/250 and ControlLogix 1756-DHRIO work.

But the PLC-5 has no channel-to-channel "passthrough" or linking features. When you are connected to Channel 1A, you only get access to the devices on Channel 1A, and likewise the other channels.

A lot of users are so accustomed to the linking and browsing the ControlLogix provides that we forget the PLC-5 didn't do these things.