C-More to Micrologix.

Tharon

I recently looked into sending some STRING data to my PLC (MicroLogix 1400) using a C-More Touch Panel.

The only problem is that the C-more cannot address the ST files in the Micrologix.

Is there any other way I could send String data to my PLC using this hardware?

Thanks for the "Heads Up"

I am sorry I am not posting a resolve for your issue. But I would like to thank you for pointing out a "hole" in product performance.

We have been traditionally a Allen Bradley (Rockwell Automation) complete soulution. Recently, we had a customer have us integrate a C-More with an AB ML-1100. No problems, as everything was Integers and Timers.

After reading your post, I fired up that project with C-More and looked around to add a STRING. Nothing doing.

Thanks again for the "Heads-Up".

We have been often asked to use alternate products to reduce costs.

We have learned, time and time again. A PLC is a PLC is a PLC. Also, a HMI is a HMI is a HMI. BUT You never REALLY know what you have in front of you until you reach a 'road-block".

We had a project using a Micrologix, strings and a C-More. The advantage is that the Micrologix was only storing the strings, not using them in any logic by means of comparison etc. They were merely the names of recipes which had other numeric parameters.

So we just blocked out a set of ten N registers (enough for twenty characters). That was the target of a string display control on the C-More with the tag set to 20 characters max.

We also had another N file of 250 locations, enough to store 25 of our recipe strings (just as many as we had recipes). Simple COP commands moved the appropriate ten N registers in and out of the new files as the recipe number changed (0 - 24).

Here's how to do it:
1. from the C-More create an Integer e.g. "N218:0" Ascii string of 20 characters.
2. from the PLC AB ML?? the string will be saved under N218:0-N218:9 in blocks of two characters.
Example: from C-More N218:0 "HELLO WORLD"
from PLC N218:0(HE) N218:1(LL) N218:2(O ) N218:3(WO) N218:4(RL) N218:5(D)
3. You're done!

I hope this will help, it's really simple and C-More is very easy and user friendly.

It was left out of the release notes inadvertently. If you make a project and select Micrologix, the ST data type is there.

I didn't realize they had another version out. I was using 2.20 w/ SP1

Well, at least that problem is solved.