learning plc's

Not real sure of the question... but after you read the book you would know how to program ;)

Well, learning how to program (not to take anything away from Phil's great course) just by taking this course would be like studying the English parts of speech and studying how to operate Microsoft WORD then assuming you were ready to write a novel.

Programming is actually close to the last step in a process of determining machine operation and sequence, determining the operation of input and output devices, determining the interrelationships and sequences of individual machine areas. This plus consideration of timing, safety and error checking gets you to a point where you may be ready to begin the programming aspect.

After the initial programming of course comes the implementation of the program, checking for operation and revising as necessary.