Setting up Profibus

Danny Boy

Hi guys,
Just joined, had a bit of a browse and most people seem to know more than myself regarding PLC's which is a good start.

Quick bit about me. Im a 21 yo student studying at Murdoch University in Perth, WA. Im studying what amounts to be Electrical engineering, specifically Im doing a double major in Industrial computing systems, and I&C.

to the problem at hand:
Im trying to put together a proposal to install a experiment panel for a I&C lab, using a NI master server, and mostly 4-20mA loop powered devices. However Im told I have to implement a PA profibus Differential pressure device as well as the standard 4-20.

The problem is, none of the staff have any idea about profibus and have already purchased the EH transmitter.
From what ive gathered, I have to install a PLC (siemens 3xx) and create a profibus network for the instrument, before outputting the value through an analog channel ot the server's DAQ card.

Im interested in hearing some advice as to the Hardware Ill be needing to request to make this happen. So, far I have a PB transmitter, PB capable PLC and a DP module (CP-342-5) that connects to the PLC.

I think I need ; 1) DP/PA coupler;
2)Terminating resistor
on top of the equipment I already have available. Im told siemens also supplied the PB fieldcare software.

Any input will be appreciated. :)
Thanks
Dan.

It doesn´t make sense to have only one Profibus PA unit. The Profibus PA is used if you have a big network of pressure, temperatura ph sensors etc and you create a simple PA network. You need a DP/PA coupler, a plc with a profibus master input port and two profibus connectors with the terminating resistors inside. All this adds up to lots of $$$. My opinion is that you should exchange the unit for one with a current loop.

Yeah i agree, it seems like a very expensive system to achieve what you want, what model of Differential Pressure TX is it u have?? im sure the same transmitter would be available in DP profibus and would therefor sit on the master bus and eliminate the need for a dp/pa coupler etc. Alternatively you could get the same transmitter (if avail.) in 4-20mA version and therefor all you would need is an Analogue input card on the PLC.
Is it a requirement that u use PA? e.g intrinsicly safe environment??

U need DP/PA coupler (use "invisible" coupler so it just converts RS485 of DP to PAs MBP and vice versa), PA powerlink to get power to PA side and GSD (*.gsd, *.gse, *.gsg) for ur plc to actually use it. U implement gsd trough Simatics hardware configuration.

U need to terminate PA segment at both ends.

And for two of u who posted, hes from University and clearly system is for learning purposes so cost is no issue compared to what is ment to be achieved. (just read hes post second time please)

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
As Turps mentioned it is for a Project. Basically all the other panels are loop powered 4-20 to the main servers IO card. My task is to take the profibus TX i have and integrate with the I/O server so that alreayd exists. It would be far easier to keep things on loop power but the objective is to learn profibus.

It sounds like TurpoUrpo is on the money.

thanks again guys

Dan.
PS TX is a E&H cerabar S differential pressure transmitter.