SLC 505 to PV+ 1000 Time Sync

boiler-todd

Ok, I am new to using PV+ HMIs. Here is my issue. I have two PV+ 1000 running on a system with a SLC 5/05 processor. All units are on ethernet. The PV+ time that is displayed is what I set up in the terminal settings. I set one then walk over to set the other but the are off by whatever second it took me to thumb through all the menus to get it set and restarted. Now the PLC has its own internal clock that is also set. The problem is that all three are different. If a fault occurs with the PLC the fault history screen lists the PLC time for the fault but the PV+ sign could be off a minute or two. I know this is nit picky but the operator uses his PV+ clock for shift change. However, the PLC won't clear his counts for a few more minutes since they are not sync'd. This throws off our inventory numbers.

My long way to a question is - Is there a way to sync all three clocks to one time.

Thanks,

Todd.

In this case, I would recommend using the SLC-5/05 as the "master clock" for the automation system.

The PanelView Plus can read the timeclock from the SLC-5/05 automatically; it's called a "Global Connection", and the one you want is the "Remote Date and Time" and the individual year/month/day/hour/minute/second tags.

Read carefully in Chapter 8 of the RSView ME User's Guide about how the tags get updated and how the "Remote Date And Time" tag toggles from zero to nonzero to trigger the terminal's change of the terminal time.

Doing this with both PV+ terminals will keep the PV+ terminals synched up with the SLC-5/05 controller.

The next thing you probably want to do is keep the SLC-5/05 synchronized with the world outside. The SLC's clock can drift, depending on temperature, up to a few seconds per day.

There is a free utility from A-B that will periodically synchronize PLC/SLC/Logix clocks with a PC clock (which can often get their time from the US Navy clock in Colorado).

That utility is downloadable from the RSI Downloads section:

http://www.software.rockwell.com/download/logic/rslogix/misc/logix5000 clock update tool_v2_3_0.zip