Servo Control?

bigoldblack

Hey Everyone,

This forum is awesome by the way.

I would like to ask a quick question.
I have a Micrologix 1000 plc, 32 I/O and I want to use it to make something similar to a cnc machine in which I would need to move 3 axis (X,Y,Z) with relatively good precision.

Anyone want to give me an idea on what type of motor I should use?

Heres what I sort of figured out.
-DC motors would not be really accurate unless I use sensors which is fine if I I can get it right
-Steppers and Servo are a bit complicated

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

MicroLogix 1000 and precision multi-axis position control are pretty much mutually exclusive. That's at the low end of AB's PLC offerings, and it's the wrong tool for the job you've described.

You need to do a better job of defining your system. What do you mean by "fairly good precision"? Do you need any coordination between the three axes? When you have moved an axis from point A to point B, are there forces that will be trying to move the axis away from point B? How fast do you need to move? How big are the loads involved?

Thanks for the reply,

My project is a small model automated parking lot in which I am using model cars that will be shelved. So the load would not really be a problem. For precision, As long as I manage getting the car to its destination I am satisfied but the speed should be slow.

If micrologix 1000 isn't quite what I need, what do you suggest?

Assuming controlling 3 steppers or servodrives in positioning mode, new MicroLogix 1400 transistor unit is an ideal choice.
And RSLogix500 Micro software is very moderately priced.
These are the good news.
The bad one is that ML1400 is not yet available in Canada, pending CSA certification and being promised to be available "in about a month" for at least half a year already.
It is available in the US and you can get one immediately from there (without CSA marking).

There is nothing really complicated in steppers and positioning mode servos.
In fact, you will be surprised how simple and straightforward they are.
Just keep in mind that the drives do not necessarily have to be Allen Bradley.
Look at Omron servos.

Sensors are inavoidable whatever drive you use.
If DC motors can do the job, this will be the most cost-effective solution, including possibility to use ML1000.

Last edited:
Based on your comments, and from other posters, I agree that micrologix 1000 is not capable of doing the job.
Micrologix 1100 or 1400, can control servos. In fact I have done it with Micrologix 1100 and IDT4 from AMK. This is an integrated servo motor drive. In this case it is possible to have several drives, but can send commands only one at the time.

Using also the same drive (IDT4) I have used Vision 120 from Unitronics. In this case I can get synchonized motion, I mean the motion of several servos is interpolated to other, and this is the CNC stuff.

I agree that servo drives are not complicated to use, in oposition to the opinion of many people.

Best regards

Since I can't use Micrologix 1000 to control servos. Can I use it for steppers instead. would it be possible and how precise would it be?