Rx3i and Omni Link press control

jseavers

We have a stamping press with a Omni Link 5000 control interface. What I would like to be able to do is communicate to the Omni Link with a GE Fanuc Rx3i plc. The Omni Link communicates RS232 with ascii. With port 1 on the GE CPU can I read and write to the Omni Link? All I need is to read a feed length and % Feedrate from the press.

One example I found from the press that talks to a Electro-Craft IQ2000

To send length to feed:
G1=XXX.XXX[CR]
Feed Returns:
G1=XXX.XXX[CR][LF]G1=XXXX.XXXX[CR][LF][CR][LF]PDM>
To send speed to feed
G2=XXXX[CR]
Feed Returns:
G2=XXXX[CR][LF]G1=XXXX.XXXX[CR][LF][CR][LF]PDM>

I have never done ascii stuff,do I use the commreq instuction to do the communicating in the Ge PLC?
If I can get pointed in the right direction that would be great!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited: