RSLogix comms w/CompactLogix L45 Processor

JiNCs

Folks,

I have an L45 program that I can open with 5000, view and edit. Problem is I can't connect to the processor, i.e. when using Linx Who Active, it sees the Ethernet ENBT module but the backplane never shows.

I'm using a laptop that has only had 5000 installed recently.
Do I need a driver for comms to the processor? Isn't it part of 5000?
Thoughts?

Thanks
JiNCs

It will show your old connections.. so if you have ever had it configured correctly it may still show the old ones but... it may not be working now

Are you getting the red X in RSLinx

ether.jpg

See attached file for what I am seeing. The view is from Linx Classic. As you can see after it 'drills down' to the ENBT module there is no backplane shown like it does for the panelview touchscreen.

Although this is a new laptop, it has been used before to communivcate with other AB PLC's before.

Thanks
JiNCS

It is a brand new CPU and its set up well enough that another laptop connects to the processor. I have personally not set up one from 'scratch' before.

Thanks
JiNCs

Update your EDS files for the ENBT and possibly for the processor. While RSLinx knows that it's an ENBT (that much comes through the communication) RSLinx has nothing that says that there can be something below the ENBT. The EDS file gives information.

I can see that OKIEPC gave you this same information in your previous thread on this same topic. It's not easy for everyone when you do that.

Last edited:
I know this may sound too obvious, but did know that when you get a new CPU, they come with Rev 1. That's so you can upgrade it to whatever level you need. THere is a Rockwell technote to instruct you how to do this.

Have you set up a link in RSLinx to match the link on the other laptop? It should have the same IP address. Did you set your laptop TCP/IP properties IP address with the same Subnet but different IP?

Last edited:
Did not know about the tech-brief. Thanks.

I have set up my link to match that of the other laptop. I also have set up my laptop with a static IP that is different that the other. Also I am able to ping and see the ENBT module but can't see anything past it.

Thanks Bernie. Seems like what I may be facing here.

I had versions 13.04. 15.02, 16.00 and 17.00 of Logix 5000 loaded on this laptop. The program being used with the L45 was done in 16.03 and I could not open it. I upgraded 16.00 to 16.03 and it opened the programming.

I suspect that you may be on to something here as it seems likely that the version of 16.03 I am useing may not have the proper EDS the version of the ENBT we are using.

I saw another thread that said someone else had to get an updated EDS file from AB. I will check on the internet to see if there is a way to update Linx as well.

Thanks much!
JiNCs

Sorry about the reference you mention with OkiePC, but I think he was trying to help solve a different problem I faced when initially connecting to the processor.

Issue then turned out to be the version of RSLogix I was using. I mentioned that in the response to you.

I will try to keep it so that it is easier for everyone to be on same page, especially when it is I who need the help!

Thanks for mentioning it.
JiNCs

Just as an aside here, only the major version number of the software needs to match the controller. So your version 16.00 software can open any program written for a version 16 controller, even if the controller is version 16.99.

OG

L45 and RSLogix5000 Ver. 16.00.00

I have RSLogix5000 ver. 16.00.00 an I can not go online to a L45 compactlogix processor. The firmware version of the processor is 16.03. I can see it at RSLinx by an ENBT card. I try to create a new program and I can not select this processor.
There is a patch for RSLogix 500 16.00.00 to do this?
Or a have to update to 16.03.03 version of RSLogix500?

Thanks
JAMx