Modbus Communication between ML1100 and RedLion HMI G306

OmarM

I am using a MicroLogix 1100 of AB which going to read data from HMI G306 of RedLion. I'm using this HMI like a Gateway and the comm protocol that I want to use is Modbus(2 wire). My ML1100 is going to be Modbus RTU master and the HMI Modbus RTU Slave. I already set up both device but I have an error (37H message time out in local processor) on my message instruction. I am guessing that my problem is the modbus cable (I made my own cable (RS485) acording with the PINOUT of both device).

I need some help with this application.

We normally use the 1763-NC01 to break out from the mini din socket - it's a bit more user friendly...

Hope this helps,

Rob

Thanks!!

But If I don't have this cable yet, the only cable that I have is the normal serial cable to download and upload from my pc, any other solution without the 1763-NC01 cable?

Is there a reason you're not using the ethernet port for programming and then dedicate the mini din for modbus??

Rob

Attached my modbus configuration on ML1100 and G306 of RedLion. Alaso I need to make sure that I have the right communication setting.

ML1100 Config..jpg RedLion G306 Config..jpg

Well, Right now the most important thing is if I can get data from RedLion HMI to my ML1100 through Modbus.

To answer your question yes I want to dedicate the mini din for modbus.

I am going to make an illustration to explain you with more detail the application that I want to do. After a make sure that I can get data from my G306 to my ML1100 through Modbus without problem.

Illustration that explain with detail the application that I want to do. After a make sure that I can get data from my G306 to my ML1100 through Modbus without problem.

My future application.jpg

I may be misunderstanding your application, but it seems as if it would probably be easier to configure the RS485 port on the Red Lion to be a Modbus master and then connect the MicroLogix to the Red Lion's serial port using standard DF1 protocol. Then, you setup a gateway in the Red Lion to seemlessly bridge the Modbus network device to the ML. The network would look like the portion of your drawing with the GE PLC.

I am currently doing this to collect data from seven level sensors and populate the data registers of a GE VersaMax PLC and it works well. Red Lion tech support can assist you with the setup of the Modbus gateway.

Regards

I may be misunderstanding your application, but it seems as if it would probably be easier to configure the RS485 port on the Red Lion to be a Modbus master and then connect the MicroLogix to the Red Lion's serial port using standard DF1 protocol.

Scratch the DF1 suggestion, I took a second look at your schematic and see that you are going Ethernet to the Red Lion. Ethernet is definitely a better way to go than serial, but I would still take a look at using the Red Lion as the Modbus gateway.

Regards

I understand but the thing that I want to make sure is if I can share data from RedLion G306 to ML1100 through modbus without problem. This schematic that I show going to be my future application, right now I have my ML1100 and the G306 HMI on my hand and I want that my ML1100 can read data that my G306 HMI already have (through modbus). After this that I show on my schematics I am going to us a Serial Modem Radio to transmit this data to my ML1100.

Based on the 1763_NC01 cable pin out and my experience with the NET-AIC module, you cabling should be as follows:

G3 PLC
1 1
2 8
3 NC
4 NC
5 NC
6 2
7 NC
8 NC

Based on your screen shots, the settings in both devices appear to be good. I have never used an AB to talk Modbus, so I am not 100% sure about the ladder needed. With the current G3 configuration, the PLC will only be able to read data from us. If you change the Gateway block direction, then you will be able to read and write (assuming Var1 is an internal tag).

Regards,
Dan