What am i missing?

darren221170

I am trying to monitor data from an s5 plc.i have an s5 lan connected to the plc and can see it on the network in s5 for windows.i am intrested in the speed which i can see in db176:kf12.However when i put this into the IBH server then to a rockwell OPC i can see the DB but it's not the speed it just fluctuates from zero up to 4000ish then starts to go back to zero?Am i missing something?

Don't understand the DB172:Kf12 bit, siemens Datablocks are normally addressed as DB172.DBW12 or if it is a 32 bit word DB172.DBD12 etc. I know that some opc servers may address differently & it has been known for bytes to be reversed etc.
also I do believe that the format of floats & reals are a bit different in siemens.

parky - Note this is Step 5, not Step 7

You are trying to read a byte - is that correct ? Have you defined a byte variable in your monitor ? Maybe you are displaying a word and the value displayed is 12 * 256 = 3072 for the example shown.

According to the IBH literature DB's are data type 'unsigned word(VT-UI2)'maybe i am getting this wrong?I will have another look at it.

KF is data type not an address, for example you can see DB1 DW1 and you can see it in KF, KH, KY, KS etc formats

The address would be DW (Word) or DB (Byte) or DD (Double)

Thanks guys the answer was for some reason the client can't read the tags in the ibh server.you have to specify the tags in the client for it to work.dont know why but only way it would work.