At Home PLC

Kevdogg329

I am looking for something I can play with at home that does not cost a lot of $$$, but will give me experience with something other than AB. Any ideas?

Check out AutomationDirect's CLICK PLC. $69 for a 24 volt powered CPU with 8 inputs and 6 outputs. FREE software. Minimal cost for the cable.

I picked up an old Fanuc 90/20 off of e Bay about a year ago for under $30. It's old and extremely outdated, but it works fine with the older software. I just need to find a worthwhile project for it at home to put it to use.

I guess it depends on what you consider alot of money. I know Siemens has a starter kit for their S7-200 series. Think the cost with software is is the $300-$400 dollar range.

As Bernie said Automation Direct is a good one. It is alot cheaper than the Siemens.

I tried out the CLICK for a few days and tested out most of its functions. It doesn't have Analog (yet), doesn't have long term retenative memory (with power off), no direct ethernet but that should not matter for learning. You will need to obtain a 24VPS both for the CPU and the IO, but for $69 and FREE software and FREE tech support, you can't go wrong for a trainer. It even has interrupts and 2 COM ports with Modbus.

For the money you save, buy a CMORE Micro touch screen HMI for $189 and that software is FREE too.

I just purchased a SLC 5/01 system off ebay for $150. (2) 7 slot chassis each with a 5/01 processor, (2) 16-point Input cards and (2) 16-point output cards. Now I don't know what you consider a lot of money, but to me it was a great investment as I want to start and automate my house. One thing that might be trouble is the software, that is the most expexive part of Rockwell!

try a Twido plc...the software is free and a base unit is relatively inexpensive.
Be careful if you ever use a 4-20mA analogue input. I used one when the Twido was first introduced and found a wee problem. The analogue unit is configurable in software for either 4-20mA or 0-10V. Most 4-20mA sensors are powered from 24V and will rise to full voltage if driving a high impedance. The Twido unit defaulted to 0-10V until the software was loaded in but in 0-10V mode the maximum input voltage is 15V. Bottom line is we had a machine fully built and wired and trashed the analogue unit before I could load in the software. When we got a (free) replacement, we disconnected the sensor until the software was in.

I don't know how much the software has been improved since its introduction but it was free and worth every penny. You get what you pay for and the free software didn't ammount to much. Not bad on a feature count but poorly implemented and full of frustrating bugs...🔨

Horner XLe has build in Analog I/O, HSC, and a build in display that can be used as an HMI in case you need to enter values to registers and such.
Software is free.
Price range from $300.00 to 550.00.
Not sure if it fits your budget but it is a PLC/HMI that will get you going.